Monday, July 25, 2011

Aspiring Bakers #9: Chocolate Swiss Roll 可可蛋糕卷

I still remember the mess that I created when I made my first swiss roll few years ago. The swiss roll cracked very badly and the cream was in a mess after rolling. I dare not make any swiss rolls anymore. Yes, I'm that afraid of failures.

But hidden in me, I still want to do it again. I enjoy flipping through 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷. I know there is another wonderful book 彩绘蛋糕卷 on creating patterns and painting on swiss rolls, which I still don't know where to get the book. Then comes this month's Aspiring Bakers event on swiss rolls. The swiss rolls posted during the last few weeks are all highly creative. That forces motivates me to try making one.


孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 is one of the best Chinese baking books. There are 5 different methods of making swiss roll cakes, 5 methods of making fillings for the swiss rolls, 3 methods of rolling, step-by-step illustrations, and comes with 2 DVDs. I pick the easiest swiss roll from this book - chiffon cake method for the cake base which I am more familiar with + fresh cream filling.


Here's my very first swiss roll. Though not perfectly round, with slight cracks and still some mess after rolling, I am quite satisfied and happy with myself for doing something I am initially reluctant to try. If something is holding back you from doing it, I hope this will inspire you to try making swiss rolls. Still one more week left before the swiss roll month ends. :)


Chocolate Swiss Roll 可可蛋糕卷

Ingredients (36cm x 26cm baking tin)

Chiffon cake:
20g cocoa powder
40g hot water
60g egg yolks (~3 eggs)
50g sugar
50g vegetable oil
30g milk
75g cake flour

120g egg whites (~3 eggs)
65g sugar

Filling:
180g dairy whipping cream
20g sugar

Method

Filling:
1. Put fresh cream in a bowl and place over another big bowl filled with ice cubes. Whisk fresh cream until thick.
2. Add in sugar and whisk until stiff.

Chiffon cake:
1. Dissolve cocoa powder in hot water and set aside.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
3. Slowly whisk in oil and milk.
4. Add in chocolate mixture in step (1).
5. Sift in cake flour and whisk until batter is smooth. Set aside.
6. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy, gradually add in sugar in 3 batches. Continue whisking until stiff peak form.
7. Fold in 1/3 of the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 5), then fold in the remaining 2/3 egg white gently until well-mixed.
8. Pour the batter into a lined and greased baking tin. Level the batter, give the tin a few slight bangs on the table to knock out air in the batter. Bake in preheated oven at 175 deg C for 12 minutes (I use top rack).
9. Remove cake from pan. When one side is cooled, flip the cake over, tear away the baking paper and leave to cool the other side.
10. Spread filling on the cake and roll up. Chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes before slicing.

Recipe adapted from: 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷

I am submitting this Chocolate Swiss Roll to Aspiring Bakers #9: Swiss Rolling Good Times (July 2011), hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food.

Aspiring Bakers Announcement
I hardly realize, time really flies. Aspiring Bakers is almost 1 year old and I have not planned for who are going to be our hosts for the next few months.

Looking for host for Aspiring Bakers from November 2011 onwards. If you have participated in Aspiring Bakers before, you are welcome to pick a theme and be our host. I know it is hard work checking the emails and compiling the long list of entries. But we really need some volunteers for this wonderful event to continue.

Please email me if you are interested.
smallsmallbaker@yahoo.com.sg

31 comments:

  1. i love 孟老师 Swiss roll recipe too. About hosting the Aspiring bakers, let me think first, because I'm not sure whether i can handle that amount of workload..hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learnt the new method of making Swiss Rolls from all the talented bloggers and I also “偷师” from them... hahaa..
    Anyway your Swiss Roll looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 最近大家都在卷卷卷,我暂时还没想要动手,很懒惰呐:P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good try :) I haven't started mine yet and there is one week left only....hope can bake one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Swiss roll you have for beginner. The book really helpful n I learn a lot from there. I enjoy roll..roll..roll..for this month Aspiring theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Nice roll. I just bought this 孟老师 recipe books too but too late to try out her recipe now. BTW, I've used some online recipe and improvise it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad, i am still unable to do a perfect roll till now. Really hope to join, but just flung another and feed the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonia: I have only a few books and this is really good and worth to buy. Thanks, it's ok, just do it only when you feel you can handle, I know everyone is busy. :)

    Anncoo: Thanks! Yes, I surely learn a lot from all the bloggers. Every is so good and creative. You too! :)

    鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝: 快点,还有时间。不然做个西瓜卷。Hehe... :)

    Min: Thanks! Must quickly make one. You haven't make swiss rolls for a long time. :)

    Vivian Pang: Thanks! Must conttinue rolling even after this month to improve. You have been a great supporter!

    neyeeloh: Thanks!! :)

    hankerie: Hi! Thanks! Not too late, still have 1 week left. Do you have any blogs, hope to see your bakes.

    muimui: Hey, it's ok, don't have to feed the bins, they still taste good. Mine also not perfect. Keep trying and don't give up. Thanks for the support too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely bake! The cake looks really smooth & yummy. Thnaks for sharing.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  10. It a good try. I think 孟老师 is a great teacher, almost most of the blogs posted her recipes, incurring me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ... I think I must try my hands on swiss roll.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful swiss roll! sadly I don't have 孟老师's recipe, searching high and low on her recipes book do you have any idea where I can get a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristy: Thanks! I still need to practise more to improve. :)

    Happy Flour: Thanks! I have lots to learn from you! Yes, 孟老师's book is great!

    Yummy Bakes: Quickly make one soon!

    Ah Tze: Thanks! I got the book from Elyn (esjoie), 1 year ago, so long then I make use of this book. She organizes chinese books sprees once in a while. Can't get it at the book stores here? It's ok, there are many recipes posted from her book. Or you can email her, see she got ready stock or not. shopbake@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This roll is so chocotey yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 那时趁促销,我也买了《孟老师的美味蛋糕卷》,但还是先学好戚风蛋糕,才来学卷。

    ReplyDelete
  16. edith: Thanks! I love chocolate, that's why I make chocolate swiss roll for my first attempt. :)

    shan: 跟你说,这本书我买了快一年了,现在才用,因为很怕失败。其实比想象的容易,戚风蛋糕我到现在还会失败。只是卷的功力不够,还要多练习。有机会你也卷一卷。

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eileen@hundred eighty degrees28 July 2011 22:47

    Nice roll! I haven't started yet, looks like running out of time...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Though you say that your roll is not perfectly round, I think it looks super yummy! And I can't even see any cracks anywhere. The best thing is your cake looks super moist and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eileen: Oh no, 2 more days. I also can't make another one to submit. Just try... it's ok, you can still join next month's theme.

    Janine: Oh, they are well-hidden. ;p Yes, the sponge cake is good. Thanks to the great recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you can try kinokuniya to find the other Swiss roll book. I think this chocolate Swiss roll of yours is definitely a successful one... Very nice texture! 

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is already perfect to e ! yeah, the 孟老师 book is so popular, i can see that many of us are using her recipes to make swiss roll, i am also comfortable with the chiffon method!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the texture of your swiss roll! thanks for generously sharing the recipe!
    have always wished to buy those beautiful chinese cookbooks but as i can't read chinese it's pointless for me to buy, i can only look at the pictures! haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Honey Bee Sweets: Thanks! Will make a trip there for more books. :)

    lena: It's a good book with detailed instructions. That's why I manage to make it successfully. :)

    sotong: It's ok, because many bloggers are using recipes from chinese books and translated it into English. Thanks to all the great bakers out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your chocolate swiss roll looked really good, truly. Soft enough that I have feel like having a slice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved your blog very much. Nearly everyday I would look at it, besides there were many other bloggers which I would like to see. Very interesting! Keep it up. With renovations going on in my house, it gave me pleasure just to look at it. Thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jane: Thanks! I like your durian swiss roll too!

    Margaret: Thank you so much for the compliment! Promise to come up with more goodies. Hope you enjoy reading and do bake when you finish with the renovations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi small small baker,

    I was just wondering if i should buy 孟老師's book on swiss roll, when i chance upon this post. I'm definitely going to get the book after reading your review :)

    I've just started my baking blog.. will be challenging myself to try the aspiring baker's challenge for august. Am looking forward to learning from all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lala: Yes, you should get it. It is good for both beginners and experienced bakers. Looking forward to your entries for aspiring bakers too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi :)
    Can i know y need to put the fresh cream to another bowl with ice cubes??if didnt can onot..tq :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Sherene,

    This is to keep the cream cold. If the cream is not cold enough, it will become unstable and unable to hold and collapse. It is easier to whip cream when everything is cold. Best if you also chill your mixing bowl and beaters before whipping. :)

    ReplyDelete