Monday, September 05, 2011

Aspiring Bakers #11: Banana Snowskin Mooncake

Here's my first snowskin mooncake. I have long wanted to make mooncakes, not just for Aspiring Bakers. I bought the moulds 2 years ago. This time I'm not going to procrastinate anymore.

As baked mooncakes are proved to be too challenging for me. I start with snowskin mooncakes first - Banana Snowskin Mooncake wrap with Lotus Paste.


I particularly like these 2 moulds with the words “莲蓉” and “中秋”. So I will be using them for the rest of my mooncakes. :)


I read from books that the golden ratio of skin is to filling is 1:2. Which means the weight of the skin is 1/3 of the weight of the mould size you are using.

I'm quite satisfied with this snowskin recipe. The skin is very soft even when straight out of the fridge. I tried one piece every day. It stays soft for 3 days, but starts to turn a little bit hard on 4th day onwards, storing in an airtight container.


Banana Snowskin Mooncake
(original recipe, please adjust the recipe according to your mould size and batch size)
skin : filling = 1:2,
if you are using 63g mould, skin = 21g, filling = 42g
if you are making 10 mooncakes, skin = 210g, filling = 420g
adjust the recipe proportionately)

Ingredients

Snowskin:
300g icing sugar
20g shortening
1/4 tsp banana essence
150g boiled cool water *
110g kao fen (cooked glutinous rice flour) 糕粉

* Boil 2 pieces of pandan leaf with 200g water until fragrant.
Leave to cool, take 150g for use)

Filling:
1400g lotus paste

Method

1. Snowskin: Knead icing sugar, shortening, banana essence and some water until shortening melts, then add in remaining water, knead evenly. Lastly add in all cooked glutinous rice flour and knead evenly. Set aside for 30 minutes. Divide the dough skin equally, roll round.

2. Filling: Divide the lotus paste equally, roll round.

3. Flatten a piece of snowskin, wrap in filling, roll round, then pat some cooked glutinous rice flour.

4. Press it into mould, unmould and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Recipe adapted from: Moonlit Mid-Autumn Festival 月盈中秋 by Choong Su Yin

I am submitting this Banana Snowskin Mooncake to Aspiring Bakers #11: Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011), hosted by Happy Home Baking.

***
Decide the theme for Aspiring Bakers #12 here.