Friday, September 16, 2011

Pumpkin Chiffon Cake 南瓜戚风蛋糕

好久没做到这么漂亮的戚风蛋糕了!


For quite some time, I had been producing failed chiffon cakes. Half of the time, they dropped out of the inverted chiffon tin during cooling. Half of the time, they didn't dropped out, but had sunken top after removed. I knew I had problem with the oven temperature. It was until I got my oven thermometer, the mystery was solved.

I think my oven is getting old. When I set the temperature at 170 deg C, it was lower than that. So now I bake my chiffon cakes at 180 deg C and extend the baking time 5 minutes longer to get the crust thicker. It works!


The rare occasion when I bake my cake and shoot my photo so early in the morning. The morning sun makes the cake so pretty! Look at the fluffy texture!


Pumpkin Chiffon Cake 南瓜戚风蛋糕

Ingredients (makes one 22cm chiffon tin, half the recipe for 16cm chiffon tin)

4 egg yolks
30g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
60g vegetable oil
60g coconut milk * (I use fresh milk)
80g pumpkin, diced, steamed and mashed
120g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
some pumpkin seeds

4 egg whites
100g sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar (I omitted)

* You can replace coconut milk with milk + 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg

Method

1. Whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until the sugar dissolves.
2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by coconut milk. Add in mashed pumpkins, mix well.
3. Fold in sifted cake flour and baking powder until well-mixed. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches. Lastly, add in pumpkin seeds.
6. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 40 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
8. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.

Recipe adapted from: Fruity Cakes 鲜果蛋糕香 by Alex Goh

22 comments:

  1. The chiffon is tall and I love the soft and fluffy texture too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, your chiffon looks so nice, lovely color and soft...yum yum...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 我实在好久没做蛋糕了
    有点想念
    但很懒惰:P

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pumpkin chiffon looks very sunny!! Nice color and perfectly baked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 真的很漂亮。很巧我前天才刚刚拿出这本alex goh的书发现很多漏网之鱼,好多食谱我都想尝试。

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Tze: Thanks! It is actually a very small chiffon, only 6 inch. :)

    Sherleen: Thanks! I love this chiffon too!

    鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝: 我觉得做蛋糕比做其他的容易多了,打打搅搅,就可以进烤箱了。嘻嘻,我才懒呢。:)

    Grace: Thanks for the compliments! Miss your chiffon cakes. Hope you can start bake soon. :)

    Angel: 谢谢!最近做戚风做的很过瘾。:) 我也是!真得太多食谱,看不完,更做不完。

    ReplyDelete
  7. 这道蛋糕真的漂亮~

    上次我做的南瓜戚风失败了,下次要再挑战。^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday I was still cracking my head over what to do with the huge 7 kg pumpkin that a friend gave us last week. Now besides making pumpkin rice and pumpkin soup, I know I should make a pumpkin cake :) Btw Is this from Alex Goh's book or is it your own recipe?

    cheers
    bee @EEWIF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful chiffon - looks tall and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The chiffon cake is perfect. The texture is exactly how chiffon cake should be! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya! I agree that oven are quite unreliable, all my chiffon are baked at 180C for 50 mins. Between i tried this pumpkin chiffon from Alex Goh too, it was really soft and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. shan: 谢谢!失败乃成功之母。我也是最近才有进步。期待你的戚风哦!

    Bee: That's a huge pumpkin! Guess I'll seeing a lot of pumpkin recipes. :) It is from Alex Goh's book, I just change the coconut milk to fresh milk.

    Yummy Bakes: Thanks for the compliment. :)

    Quay Po Cooks: Thanks! So happy that I got it right!

    muimui: Ya, at first I thought my oven temp was too high, cos I read before that sunken top is caused by high temp, turn out that it is the other way, temp too low. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the fact that it uses fresh milk instead of coconut milk. Thanks for sharing. Will try it out soon 

    ReplyDelete
  14. 戚风很美呀!我一直不敢好好做戚风,模太大,做不好怕浪费材料。

    ReplyDelete
  15. shaz: I always have fresh milk at home so use fresh milk rather than buying coconut milk. Try soon!

    Yee Er: 谢谢!我的戚风模其实只有六寸,看不出来吧。不过不够吃的。是该时候买大的模了。你可以用小一点的模试试。不怕!:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi SSB,
    Can you share where did you get your oven thermometer? I encountered the same problem with my old oven. Thank you.

    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susun: I got it from Phoon Huat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi SSB,
    Thank you so much for your quick reply.

    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, looks so pretty and soft SSB :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. yes, your chiffon cake looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees30 September 2011 22:04

    I have the similar problem too! This is a tall and proud looking chiffon.

    ReplyDelete