Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012)

As some of you may already know, our host for this month, Ann of Anncoo Journal is unwell. So before I start, I would like to wish her speedy recovery and have a good rest.

So I will be taking over the job this month, with the theme that Ann has suggested "Dim Sum"!
As we have discussed, Dim Sum is such a huge category of food, so there will be several restrictions.

We accept all Dim Sum that are

1) Steamed 蒸 - like dumplings (*update - cooked dumplings accepted too), xiao long bao, siew mai, chee cheong fun, etc

2) Fried/deep fried 炸 - like potsticker, spring roll, jian dui 煎堆 or taro dumpling 芋角, etc

3) Flaky pastry 酥 - like char siew pastry, etc

4) Dishes that are steamed - like steamed glutinous rice, steamed spare ribs, chicken feet, etc

We do not accept

1) Paus/Baos (I know there will be some disappointment here... what's dim sum without the char siew pau, custard pau, but hey, we will be doing this as a separate theme in future.)

2) Tarts and Kuehs (since we have already done this in previous AB before)

3) Desserts/Tong Shui (we will be having this theme soon)

4) Cooked dishes like congee, rice, noodles

Another thing to note is I will be doing this month's AB differently.
Have been wanting to try out this link tool.
So for this month, you will submit your entries differently.
Very easy. Please read the instructions below.

Looking forward to all the delicious dim sum!

Who can join?
Everyone with a blog!

How to join?

Step 1 :
Make any steamed 蒸, fried 炸 or flaky pastry 酥 dim sum in the month of May 2012. You may submit more than 1 entry.

Step 2 :
Post it on your blog between 01 May 2012 and 31 May 2012.
Your post must include the recipe or link to the original recipe. If you are using a recipe from a book, please include the title of the book too.
Any entries that are posted outside the date range will not be accepted.
Any entries that do not include a recipe or link to the original recipe will not be accepted too.

Step 3 :
Please mention that you are submitting your post to Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker and provide a link back to this post HERE.
Entries will not be accepted if the above is not included.

Step 4 :
- Click "Add your link" icon below.
- Enter the URL of you blog post, the name of your dish, and your email (will not be visible to the public).
- Insert an image of your dish
- Done! Your entry will appear immediately.

There will be no roundup this month. As the link tool will automatically update all the entries submitted. This format is for this month only. We will be back to the usual roundup next time. :)



If you want the same link list to appear under your blog post, click "get the InLinkz code" below, copy and paste the codes in "Edit HTML" mode in your blog post.
get the InLinkz code

***
If you are interested to find out what's on the previous Aspiring Bakers #18: Layers of Love (April 2012), hosted by Sam of Sweet Samsations, see the roundup HERE.

58 comments:

  1. I always love love love dimsum even though i never make before, what a good time to start experimenting :)
    Thks for hosting SSB, i'll join in the fun for sure :)
    Take a break from the sweet treats once awhile is good :P
    To Ann, really pray for your fast recovery..
    Btw SSB, love the idea of using the link tool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't find a host to replace plus I have always wanted to find out how this link tool works. Just in case we run out of host next time. Hehe! Looking forward to your entries. :)

      Delete
  2. I just planning to make Juan Dui, this event just come at the right time..can't wait to join..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good good! One of your expertise! :)

      Delete
  3. hohoho...dim sum is one of my favourite...thinking thinking what i want to do...^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will have a long list. :)

      Delete
  4. WOW~ nice theme! I'll try to make dim sum as much as i can ^^ support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi SSB, I'm really excited to cook some dim sum! Just want to check with you, some dumplings are cooked in water like 水饺 and 云吞, and some are pan-fried like 锅贴 and 葱油饼, are these accepted too? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasline, only steamed dumplings are accepted. Yes, we accept pan-fried dim sum too. 云吞 if deep-fried also can. :)

      Delete
    2. Decide to accept cooked dumplings as well.

      Delete
  6. Oh, what a coincidence. Lastly week, I had made steamed glutinous rice so tomorrow I can submit already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! I will try to make siu mai, I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love siew mai. I have 1 in my draft. :)

      Delete
  8. Cool application! I just updated my entry. Hehee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to use right? Too bad it has some restrictions.

      Delete
  9. wah! so good leh! i just finised my 'siu mai' on lastnight. Never mind, will do again. Ha Ha ha :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a Prawn Roll with Beancurd Skin recipe. First time trying to submit it to this month's Dim Sum Affair. Not to sure how to go about it. Will try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Kimmy! Let me know if you are not sure of anything. :)

      Delete
  11. I love Dim Sum very much and will support this month theme as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ah Tze! You have always been so supportive!

      Delete
  12. I already submitted my post. Did I do it correctly? This new method is much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes, your entry already appear. Easier but I only realize it is a paid service after I register. Since we already have a list of host waiting, we shall continue with our old format, until the day we run out of hosts, hopefully not. :)

      Delete
  13. I wish I can try out my aunt over 30 years old Sui Mai and lao Mai gai recipe this month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 30 years old recipe. Please make and share with us!

      Delete
  14. Btw I think the old way has more fun, it has become a monthly affair on the first day of every month to check up the round up and new theme. More surprises :) thanks to all the great hosts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's fun to have something to look forward. I guess there are pros and cons. We will continue with the old way as long as we have hosts for every month. I'm just experimenting. :)

      Delete
  15. I just submitted my post. Hope it is done correctly. Sorry if there is any error, it's my 1st attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy! Your link should be the URL for your blog post instead of your homepage, so that when readers click, they can be directed to your dish submitted. But no worries, I have already edited it for you. Do submit a few more entries if you can. :)

      Delete
  16. Alamak! I should has posted the dish name and not my name. Blur...blur me! Don't worry, your monthly affair is well received by most food blogs locally and around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LY! You have been one great supporter! Ah... no worries, I already edited for you, now it's your dish name. :)

      Delete
  17. Thanks for hosting this month SSB! I finally have a motivation to start making Dim Sums! hehe.. So excited :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not sure if I made a double comment, but thanks for hosting this month SSB! I am super excited to start making Dim Sum now that I have a motivation! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Hope to see your dim sum dishes soon!

      Delete
  19. Thanks, so glad I got to learn something new from you. Ya, practice makes perfect. I will be making Mah Lai Koh this weekend for a family gathering. Just wonder whether this is acceptable. Maybe not, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mah Lai Koh is 马来糕? I won't be accepting any kueh/cake for this dim sum theme because we have already done a Traditional Kueh theme before. We have a few 马来糕 there. Check our roundup here. http://smallsmallbaker.blogspot.com/2011/11/aspiring-bakers-12-traditional-kueh.html

      So sorry about it. :)

      Delete
  20. who doesnt like dim sum? talking about it, i already feel liek going for one afterwards. Hopefully ill be able to make an entry this month.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Finally, after 3 months of hectic office work, I am a bit free to post my dish in the Aspiring Bakers #19 : Dim Sum hosted by you (SSB). My dish called Chinese Chives Pancake. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, this is quite a challenging one for this month's AB. I will going to miss this , as I will be going on 3 weeks holidays. But I will 'keep an eye' on your blog while away..... Have fun gals, and I am sure Ther will be awesome dimsum from everyone! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just submitted another recipe to share. May not be the best but definitely homecooked. Hope all is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I've just submitted some fried wontons. Great theme!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there

    Why is xiao long bao accepted when baos are not?

    Why are the first two entries rice dishes when 'cooked dishes like... rice' aren't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I accept xiao long bao because they are not the baos which we make from flour and yeast. XLB is actually also a type of steamed dumplings.

      I have also stated that dishes that are steamed such as steamed glutinous rice are accepted.

      Delete
  26. New here! Definitely joining in! Loving all the entries :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can't wait to see the collection of dim sum. If I am not traveling soon, I would love to join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  28. omg!! love all your link and post here!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi SSB

    I have a steam fried savoury pumpkin cake wondering if it is acceptable .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not accepting cake/kueh cos we have done that in October last year already. Hope to see other types of dim sum this time. :)

      Delete
  30. SSM, is roasted duck also consider as dim sum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, roast duck! I don't think it's dim sum. So sorry not accepted. But I don't mind if you post your recipe. Hehe! :)

      Delete
  31. SSB, some of dim sum restaurant did serve roast pork and roast duck actually, never mind, then i will just post normally..Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey SSB ! Been eyeing this event since early this month and luckily I made some dimsum and will join in your awesome dimsumania ;D event , okay ?!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, SSB, thanks for hosting this Dim Sum Affair! I've just posted a dish! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. SSB,

    Hope that I am in time to submit this~
    Made steamed glutinous rice last night. Hopefully post to you tonite!
    *finger-crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  35. Our dim sum theme has ended! Thank you for all the active participation! I hope everyone finds it fun to make your own dim sum at home!

    ReplyDelete