Monday, January 20, 2014

Pineapple Tarts with SCS Butter

I finally start my CNY baking yesterday!

I am very happy because I am invited by SCS butter to try out and feature some of their newly created recipes for Chinese New Year using SCS Butter. I think I mention before, I grow up eating SCS butter. I love spreading my bread with SCS butter since young! My mum was using SCS when she baked CNY cookies last time, and until now, I still continue using SCS butter, especially for all my cookies during CNY!

I was given a list of recipes, both sweet and savoury. I tried out two of their recipes yesterday - the open and closed pineapple tarts. A good warm up for my upcoming baking for bake sale. :)

Coconut-Dusted Golden Pillow Pineapple Tarts

This is a very special recipe that is worth trying! I never thought of coating the pineapple tarts with desiccated coconut before. It makes the pineapple tarts more fragrant!


Ingredients (I make 80pcs cos I like mini tarts)

250g SCS Salted Butter
100g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cold milk
400g plain flour, sifted
1/2 cup desiccated coconut, more as needed
650g pineapple paste

Method

1. Cream butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the egg yolk, vanilla essence, salt, baking soda and cold milk. Fold sifted flour into the mixture and mix until the dough just comes together. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
2. While the dough chills, divide the pineapple paste into balls of 8 g each. (I skip the steps of making pineapple filling on my own.)
3. Take a heaping teaspoon of dough and use hands to flatten it. Put the pineapple filling in the middle and wrap it with dough. Remove any excess dough and mold it to your preferred shape. Dust with desiccated coconut.
4. Preheat oven to 180C. Arrange the tarts on a lined baking tray and chill the cookie dough pieces for 10 mins.
5. Bake tarts for 25mins (I bake about 20 minutes) or until the dough has turned golden brown, rotate trays halfway through baking time.
6. Allow pineapple tarts to cool before storing them in airtight containers.

This is how the tarts look before they go into the oven. Pretty! The dough is quite soft to handle. So do put it back to chill if it becomes too sticky.


Tada! My pineapple tarts look great and unique after dusted with the coconut!


At the same time, I also did the second type of pineapple tarts.

Flower Pineapple Tarts

The ingredients for this recipe is really simple. It is actually an eggless recipe too.


Ingredients (I make 38pcs)

230g plain flour, sifted
50g caster sugar
90g SCS Salted Butter
35g SCS Spreadable Butter (I use all salted butter)
2 tbsp evaporated milk, more as needed
300g pineapple paste

Method

1. Combine flour, sugar and butter in a bowl and mix using your hands. Once crumbs are formed, add the evaporated milk one tablespoon at a time and knead until the dough comes together. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
2. While the dough chills, divide the pineapple paste into balls of 8 g each. (I skip the steps of making pineapple filling on my own.)
3. Dust the working surface with flour and roll out the pastry to about 0.5cm thick. Use a flower cookie cutter to cut out each piece of dough. Arrange them in small baking cups on a lined baking tray.
4. Preheat oven to 180C. Place the pineapple balls on top of each piece of cookie dough. Make a small flower using a mini flower cutter. Place on top of the pineapple balls (optional).
5. Bake tarts for 20mins or until the dough has turned golden brown, rotate trays halfway through baking time.
6. Allow pineapple tarts to cool before storing them in airtight containers.

The flower pineapple tarts before baking, so pretty right!


I love them so much! Take a piece!


Thank you SCS butter for sponsoring the butter! I will like to try out other recipes if I have the time after my CNY baking. Do check out their Facebook page for more ideas!