Sunday, May 15, 2011

Do your backup: A day after Blogger is down

I'm writing this post to remind everyone using Blogger to do a backup of all your posts.

2 days ago, Blogger was down and I was unable to login. Yesterday when it was back again, I login to find out that some of my most recent comments were gone and some of the recent edits to my posts were also missing. I was lucky that the damage was not too much. I read through my blog lists and find that everyone using Blogger was affected. I hope no one suffer huge damage.

The first thing I did is to do a backup of all my posts. I did this once in a while, but sometimes I didn't because I either forget, ignore it, or thinking that "nothing will happen, no need to do backup". Before you regret, please do your backup NOW.

This is the way I usually do backup. It takes only a minute to do.

1) From your Dashboard, click "Settings". You will see a page like this (see below).

2) Under Blog Tools, click "Export blog". You will be asked to save your blog as a .xml file in your hard drive. Click "Download blog" to save. And you are done!


3) If let's say you want to load your saved blog, under Blog Tools, click "Import blog", select the .xml file, everything will be back to the point of time you have saved it.

4) If you want to try the above (import blog), I suggest you create a dummy blog to do it, just in case you do damage to your blog. Just create a new blog, import blog and see if everything is back. You can delete this dummy blog after "experimenting". If you want to keep your dummy blog, remember to set "Permissions" to "Only Blog authors" can view, so that we will see not duplicate blogs. :)

Note: Please note that you can only backup all your posts, pages and comments using the above method. It cannot save the design and layout of your blog. The contents of your side bars will not be saved. Let me know if you know how to do it.

If you have better ways of backing up a blog, please share with us, cos I'm not very good at this.

23 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the timely reminder. I have now backed up my blog and the full template.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SSB, thks a lot for the info!
    A great big help for internet+computer dummy like me :P
    Done as per above
    THKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no wonder lah! I remembered I did reply all the comments yet yesterday when I checked my blog some of them still left in the comment page. This is a great piece of information you had shared. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks SSB! I've just done it according to your instructions :o

    ReplyDelete
  5. SSB, Thanks for this reminder post and the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SSB, Thanks for sharing this info, i have never do backup before, and I will do backup straightway after this comment,hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this! I've not been active in blogging these few days and hardly login. Anyway, I've just done my backup now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never know how to do the backup had it not been for this post. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the info with us. I have to backup my posting too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blessed Homemaker: Yes, you can share this in your blog. I think I will be doing a part 2 for backup instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. done. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks SSB for sharing the back-up info with us. I'm totally zero about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks SSB. This is an important piece of info and it sure came in handy. I think we bloggers wouldn't want all our blog posts to be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the info! I have done a backup immediately, when i read your post. My com was down and i thought the com man didin't done a great job until i read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the reminder... I usually forget and took things for granted... and what do you know, Blogger crash!!!
    Will do so at least twice a month. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks SSB! Was just wondering how to do back ups. This is very helpful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI SSB thanks for d info.if you don't mind:) i copas (copy paste) about your info to my blog.
    but if you mind I'll delete it from my account.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks so much for the reminder =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the reminder... Also, thanks for following my blog. Really delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Faeez: I love reading food blogs. So glad to find another baker. :)

    ReplyDelete