Monday, May 02, 2011

Some thoughts about Aspiring Bakers and a Durian Layered Cake

Some thoughts about Aspiring Bakers

So fast, we have already hosted Aspiring Bakers 6 times! Check out the wonderful roundups here.

From our favourite chiffon cakes and fruit and cheese themes to special occasions like Christmas, CNY and Valentine's, we have received so many wonderful entries from all the food bloggers. The Fruity March theme was the most popular with 185 entries! Thanks to all the hosts for the hard work. Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I have discovered many new blogs through this event. Those who have not participated yet, please join us from now on!

As the creator of this event, my job is to liaise with the hosts each month, such as coming up with new themes, giving them some reminders of our rules and clarifying any doubts. Although I know the new themes firsthand, I never know how many entries are submitted. So on the first day of each month, I'm always anxious to see the roundups. :)

I'm very serious about this Aspiring Bakers event and very strict too, some hosts might know. :) After every roundup, I check through each and every entry submitted. Make sure that they abide by the rules (must state submitted to Aspiring Bakers) and the links are correct. I count the total number entries, many times. I key them into an Excel spreadsheet to count the number of entries submitted by everyone. And then update them on Aspiring Bakers Family page. This usually takes a few days. The reason is I want to see who is actively participating and who participate continuously without breaks in between. I'm thinking of some rewards to them in future. :)

As for the future themes, they will be decided by our hosts. But I have a whole list of themes that I wish we can do. Do visit my Facebook page to vote and suggest new themes. Those who want to host the event, you can email to: smallsmallbaker@yahoo.com.sg. It will be from November 2011 onwards.

A Durian Layered Cake


This I don't really feel like posting. But for the record of my baking experience. Here it is. I really wanted to practise making layered cakes, so this is my second after my birthday cake. A vanilla sponge cake that uses whole egg method. I always have problem folding the flour in. Texture-wise, I still prefer separated egg method.


Cake is poorly frosted. Should have whipped the cream a little longer and chill it longer before cutting. But I just can't wait to cut, take photos, and eat! I will surely make it again. When the durians get cheaper. :)

23 comments:

  1. Thanks SSB!!! Because of you and this AB events we get to know many new frds, baking tips and ideas. Thanks for the 1st move and all the subsequent hard work that you have put in for this AB :) now u have temp me on your yummy durian cake again :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look so nice! Must be very Yummy!

    Papacheong
    http://home-cook-dishes-for-family.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear SBB, Happy Belated Birthday :) Sorry that I've missed your birthday due to my internet line was very slow and always up and down due to thunder strikes affected the underground cable badly for the past 10 days.
    Thru AB events I saw many great bakers out there that I'd learned so much from them. TKQ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! I love your durian cake...so tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to visit a lot of new blogs also because of Aspiring Bakers, do keep it up ya. I will participate when I'm able to because sometimes I'm just running out of time. Anyway, keep of the good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 我很喜欢榴莲,所以这个我一定喜欢:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also made a durian layered cake recently for my hubby's birthday. U have made the AB event something I look forward every beginning of the month. Thank u.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thks SSB with the idea of Aspiring Bakers event! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to say you are great! I love this AB challenge. I wish I have one for beading but so far did not see it in SG. I just want to say, no matter if i participate monthly or not, I will support you no matter what (not participating due to time constraint, then is by reading the final post!)

    I want to tell u, I love this challenge! Thanks a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with Ellena!

    If not for this event, I probably wouldn't have learnt so many new tricks to baking and dessert making, get inspired by so many new recipes and ideas, and most importantly, make so many wonderful friends who have been so supportive and encouraging.

    It has also motivated me to seek out new recipes, methods and even ingredients to create new bakes to share with everyone.

    So a big thank you once again, SSB for making all this possible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi, it's really so wonderful to know that you're working to your best to bring this event the best it could! if only you could complie it to a book, this would be the best recipe book ever!! shall hop over to your facebook page now!bye!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like it could melt in my mouth, yum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for everyone's support!
    请继续支持 Aspiring Bakers 哦!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so delicious. Agree with the rest ... SSB you made everyone proud to be Aspiring Bakers family :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I look forward to Aspiring Bakers' every month - and thanks to it, I've found myself many many new blogs to ogle at every day :) Thanks for setting this up!

    And I think your cake is not poorly frosted at all! And I understand how you feel - I always can't wait before digging into my cake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SSB,

    Good attempt at a layer cake. With more practice you will get even better.

    This cake looks good and I'm sure it tastes good as well. I should make a durian cake for my own birthday. Been wanting to try making durian cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 谢谢你带头主办了 AB,通过它我认识了很多很愿意分享食谱的烘焙达人,也学到了
    很多 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. 谢谢你无私的分享,要继续加油,我一定支持你^-^

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey SSB, I think for your effort for making AB such a success, you should be rewarded instead! Your efforts in seeing through the whole thing is truly priceless, please keep up the good work . :) with this AB going on each month, it gives many of us a target, or idea of what should we bake....so it's super cool plus we get to see so many hidden talents too! The durian cake looks yummy...hope to see more layer cakes from you again soon. Jia you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for starting AB! Without AB, I wouldn't have been more prompt in updating my backlogs :P

    And thanks to AB, I've discovered a lot more wonderful bakers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I a fresh baker, same as you I have problem with using whole egg method, my cake ended up very dry and heavy, any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi soh, I prefer to use the egg separation method. It gives very light texture like a chiffon cake.

      Delete