Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Birthday Cake: Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Butter Ganache

有时候,做蛋糕的过程跟人生都一样,人算不如天算。不管你计划的有多周详,都会有达不到自己的要求或意想不到的结果。

I'm talking about the birthday cake that I first time make for myself this year. I'm supposed to do the following: Bake a chocolate chiffon cake, cut into 3 layers, sandwich the layers and cover the whole cake with butter ganache, coat the sides with chocolate rice. And so far so good. I'm glad I have taken a photo of it while waiting for the ganache to set.


Then I tried to act smart and wanted to pipe some decorations on top inspired copied from a book. But my pipings turned out so horrible that I scraped away all of them and turning the glossy ganache on top into a little mess. I decided that plain and simple is good and left it as it is. It's my birthday cake! As long as I like it, it doesn't matter how it looks.

Indeed, this cake reflects a true part of me, my looks, my character and my thoughts. I'm just so plain that I prefer to be sitting at one corner and no one will notice. I don't look for any excitement in life. I just want to be safe and healthy and being happy in my life. And these will remain as my birthday wishes every year.


See the 3 layers of cake, sandwiched with ganache, not too obvious.


A side story. IhopeyoucanreadwhatIamwritingwithoutusingspacebarbecausemyspacebarisspoilt. I'm typing extremely slow with this post cos my spacebar key is spoilt. I think my nieces did something to it when I'm away from keyboard. Now I can only press the round part (see arrow) when I need a spacebar!



Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Butter Ganache

Ingredients (makes one 6 inch round tin)

Chocolate Chiffon Cake (Carol 自在生活)
3 egg yolks
15g sugar
20g vegetable oil
30ml milk
35g cake flour
20g cocoa powder

3 egg whites
1/2 tsp lemon juice (omitted)
35g sugar

Butter Ganache (Temptation of Chocolate by Alex Goh)
200g dark chocolate
100g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature

* I have some leftover, maybe can reduce to 150g dark chocolate and 75g unsalted butter.

Method

Chocolate Chiffon Cake

1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves.

2. Add in vegetable oil and whisk until well-mixed.

3. Sift cake flour and cocoa powder together. Add in, alternating with milk, in 2 batches. Whisk until batter is smooth and set aside.

4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy, then add in lemon juice and sugar (in 2 batches) and continue whisking until stiff peak form.

5. Fold in 1/3 of the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3), then pour the batter into the remaining 2/3 egg white. Fold gently until well-mixed.

6. Pour the batter into a baking tin lined and greased at the base. Give the tin a few slight bangs on the table to knock out air in the batter. Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg C for 32-35 minutes (I bake at 170 deg C for 30 minutes).

7. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
(Not sure if I should unmould the cake to cool or unmould after the cake has completely cooled just like chiffon cakes, any advice here?)

Butter Ganache

1. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place them in a bowl.
2. Put the bowl over a pan of boiling water. Stir until the chocolate is melted.
3. Add in the butter and stir until the butter is melted. Use when it is slightly cooled and still in pouring consistency.

Assembling the cake

1. Cut the cake horizontally into 3 layers.
2. Sandwich the butter ganache in between cake layers.
3. Cover the whole cake with butter ganache.
4. Coat the side of the cake with chocolate rice.
5. Put any desired decorations on top.
6. Chill before serving.

Recipe adapted from: Carol 自在生活 and Temptation of Chocolate by Alex Goh 浓情巧克力.

41 comments:

  1. happy birthday! cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday SSB! Wishing you happy always :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is your birthday?

    Happy birthday to you n may all your wishes come true.

    I plan to bake a chocolate cake for my birthday too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi SSB, happy birthday to u :)
    i guess we share quite the same character...i too like plain simple life :)
    wish u all the best always :)
    btw, being a chocolate lover, i drooled when i saw ur bday cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday ...
    wish I was there to grab a bite (inviting myself ... hehehe)of that lovely moist cake..

    oooh I can feel your pain and struggle to type ... :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI! Happy Blessed Birthday!

    I too have problems with the cooling part, sometimes the intrusctions given are vague. But since it called for a greased & lined tin, I suppose u unmold then cool? Just my guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! you are right, plain simple life is better than uncertain life..

    ReplyDelete
  8. 祝你年年有今日,岁岁有今朝!the cake look so rice and moist!

    谋事在人,成事在天。人生真的如此。这种无助的感觉我能体会。但还是很漂亮啊!很好吃的样子呢!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Your Choc cake looks very yummy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, SSB! Your chocolate cake makes me hungry! =P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also one of those who loves to sit in a corner and hope not to be noticed. No wonder 我們談得來, ya? hehe

    Your cake looks moist. I scare making cake using 分蛋法.. stir in the whites and my cake will deflate. hehehe.

    Happy Birthday once again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy birthday ssb!! the chocolate cake looks so moist and rich. im craving chocolate now hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! I think I have the same character as you, keep life simple and low profile. What a moist chiffon cake you had baked. Wishing you a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday!!!
    The cake looks awesome! Moist and chocolaty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday, SSB!! You and I have so much similiarities that I nearly fall off my chair when I am reading your post (on your laptop).. Do you know that my laptop screen is just spoilt two days ago... Faint...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday SSB! such a lovely and moist birthday cake! enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 生日快乐^^
    简单也有简单的美:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday!

    I think we are very much the some kind of person who just want to be ordinary and live happily.

    Ur cake looks very tempting with the ganache. I am always nervous when using round tin to bake chiffon cake coz I kinda worry my cake wont raise as high. Obviously you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthay! Hope all your wishes come true :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday to you SSB :)

    I don't think anyone looks plain - as long as our character is beautiful, we'll look beautiful on the outside too! It sounds cliched, but it's true :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday!! I also luv chocolate so tends to bake chocolate cake for my birthday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday SSB ^_^
    Your keyboard same as my previous one, all thanks to my son...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday SSB! Enjoy your special day :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes!

    shan: Yes, today is my birthday. :)

    Lisa: Take a bite. :) Ok, I fix it in a lousy manner, just tape it all over, still very hard to type but at least better.

    sotong: The recipe didn't state greased & lined tin. I just guess I need to, if not I think the cake will get stuck.

    sherlyn: 是咯!I'm also very scared of beating the egg whites. But if do the whole egg method, I'm also very scared of folding the flour in, cos I will always get lumps of flour. So shall practise 分蛋 method first. :)

    hanushi: Hehe, and we are Chinese-speaking too. So bad luck to both of us. Too bad, nobody give laptop to me as birthday present. :)

    Angel: It's my first time baking chiffon in round tin. It rises quite high but sink quite a bit after cooling. I unmould then cool, not sure if affects or not. I'll try again cool then unmould next time.

    neyeeloh: Really? Kids are so "dangerous" now. My poor spacebar, and the "F" too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your cake looks great, believe me. I was salivating when I saw the cross section.
    Happy Birthday and may many good and wonderful things come your way this year !

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very Happy Birthday to you!! Wishing you good health and may your wishes come true! Here, i would also like to congratulate you, being the organiser on the aspiring bakers challenge, this is such a inspiring and succesful event,the monthly hosts have been wonderful, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday..should give me FIVE..my keyboard also missing some of the parts cos of my son. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful celebration this year. ;) Love that moist chocolate cake...yum yum! Super tempting. ;) BTW...hope you get your keyboard fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  29. May you have a Blessed Birthday with lots of joy SSB!!! Your cake looks so moist, making me wanna have a bite even with my terrible toothache now:0

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday SSB!!!
    I am just like you...我们的性格很相像. I always like to blend with the background...hoping no one will ever notice me. But I am sure you will not be able to beat me when it comes to being a plain Jane, lolz! Someday, we should really meet up, just like what Sherlyn suggested :):)

    ReplyDelete
  31. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SSB (: actually, im the same. i prefer to be safe and happy, not attention seeking and excitement looking type. same for baking, im still in my comfort zone, not yet trying lots of new stuffs. anyways, the top of the cake look rustic (: not messy. and the layering is nice too. CHOCOLATE LOVER UNITE! (:

    ReplyDelete
  32. SSB and HHB, when we meet , we must find a place where we can blend into the environment kekeke :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lena: Aspiring bakers will not be so successful without the contributions from all of u. Thanks for everyone's support. Hope u can be our host in the future! :)

    Jes's Deli Corner: Ok, now I know, I must take safety precautions if I'm away from keyboard. :)

    Honey Bee Sweets: I tape it back, is that considered fixing? :p

    Sweetylicious: Me too. I think u are much more adventurous than me leh in baking. :)

    Happy Homebaker & Sherlyn:
    我们性格很像吗?但是还是不一样啦。因为你们有为丈夫和孩子而忙。Life is not too plain. 我也好想和你们见面。等我这个害羞的人做好心理准备时,一定约你们出来喝茶!:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Birhtday to you, dear! May many more happy returns. Enjoy & have a great time. Btw, your cake looks simply awesome.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  35. happy birthday! "plain"? the cake looks beautiful to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Birthday to you...happy birthday to you...happy birthday to SSB....happy birthday to you........

    I would love to have a slice of your "no way its plain" chocolate cake! Anyway, may all your wishes come true =)

    ReplyDelete
  37. :-)

    Due to 我們的 similarities,我看我們大家要心裡準備。。。真不知是何時。嘻嘻

    ReplyDelete
  38. 生日快乐!

    yummy cake!

    ReplyDelete