Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Aspiring Bakers #7: Chocolate-Bottom Banana Squares

If you have been seeing this cake posted by bloggers almost every other days, it means MUST BAKE! There are 2 popular versions of this cake. One is from Hearty Bakes, conveniently converted from cups to grams by Min. The other is a healthier version using oil instead of butter by Cook.Bake.Love.


I choose the butter cake version by Hearty Bakes. Texture of the cake is very good, very soft and light butter cake. Unfortunately, the banana taste is not very obvious. Perhaps the bananas are not overriped enough. I wonder which type of bananas are most suitable for baking. I always use the small types which I prefer to eat. The other thing is my butter cakes are always not fragrant enough. Which brand of butter do you use for butter cakes? Do you use margarine? Maybe you can give me some advice.


This is my version topped with both white and milk chocolate chips. :)


Chocolate-Bottom Banana Squares

Ingredients (makes 1 8x8 inch square tin)

113g butter
60g sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 medium-sized bananas, slightly mashed (about 200g)
180g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cocoa mixture:
25g cocoa powder + 2 tbsp milk
(Original is 30g cocoa powder. I added milk because it is too dry to mix.)

Toppings:
White and milk chocolate chips

Method

1. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Slowly drizzle in the egg, then add in vanilla extract and mashed bananas. Beat till creamy.
3. Sift the cake flour, baking powder and baking soda together and fold in 3 separate batches. Mix well with a spatula.
4. Divide the batter into 2 equal portions. Mix 1 portion with cocoa powder and milk.
5. Pour the chocolate batter first, spread evenly (this mixture is quite thick).
6. Pour the plain batter on top of the chocolate batter, spread evenly.
7. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
8. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for 25-30mins.

Recipe adapted from: Hearty Bakes and Min's Blog

I am submitting this Chocolate-Bottom Banana Squares to Aspiring Bakers #7: Chocolate Delight (May 2011), hosted by Doris of Tested & Tasted.

20 comments:

  1. Hi SSB. Those tinned Golden Churn or Wood Dunn butter have stronger buttery smell. I never use margarine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like this is one of home bakers' favorite recipes! looks really delicious and yummy. u girls are tempting me to try out this recipe as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh btw, i use SCS for butter-enhanced bakes..and the cheaper phoon huat brands if butter isn't the highlighted ingredient in the bake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart girl to add white choc chips which give contrast to the cake, nice bake.

    If u like very buttery taste u can try golden churn. My family doesn't quite like it so I always use SCS. In the past both brands are about the same price but now SCS seems cheaper as it comes with value pack of 3 at about 10 bucks. I also buy cowhead when it is on sales, it's value for money. One more thing to share, unless necessary, if not I like to use salted butter I find it taste better.

    Some bloggers recommend French butter which I have yet to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouw .... drooling over it, must bake it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sotong: I never heard of Wood Dunn butter. Where can I find it?

    Jean: Yes, try it soon! SCS is my fav brand for cookies. I must try it for butter cakes next time.

    Angel: Just happen to see the pack of white choc chips in the fridge. :) Is there any difference in taste between the canned type and block type of golden churn? I try golden churn b4 for cookies but I still prefer SCS.

    DG: Thanks! Make this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hundred Eighty Degrees10 May 2011 14:22

    Hi Small Small Baker,
    I use Lurpak butter for butter cake. As for banana, I am like you prefer eating small ones. However, I will use Del Monte banana for baking. Actually you can bake the banana for a shortwhile if they are not overripe at the time when you are desperate to bake...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...yummy yummy!!!
    I didn't realise there is 2 version of this cake....hahaha I am so blurred ;) Will definitely try the butter version asap!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is really good stuff! Bookmarked the recipe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. use french butter and you will never go back to those normal butter ;) or you can try using golden churn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SSB,

    My aunt swears by using the canned golden churn for butter cake as it is more buttery but I have not tried the canned one before. The canned one is more expesive too.

    If you like super strong butter smell then can try the canned one. Or you may try Lurpak.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've tried to bake banana cake and everytime after baking, i realise that the toppings will sink to the bottom...do u have any tips? Ash

    ReplyDelete
  13. they look gorgeous!!!! I love how pretty they look to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The black & white chocolate chips make the cake so lovely ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eileen: Thanks for the tips!

    myme: Maybe next time I also try the other version, healthier!

    CaThY: Try it soon!

    Janice: Thanks! Looks like golden churn is everyone's favourite.

    Angel: Will try with golden churn/Lurpak in future! Thanks for your help!

    Ash: For this cake, I do not have this problem as the batter is very thick. If you are referring to other recipes, you might want to check if the amt of liquid is too much. Or maybe could be the size of eggs. I usually use 55-60g without shell, if not stated. Hope it helps!

    daphne: Thanks for the compliments!

    neyeeloh: Thanks! Luckily I got the white choc chops in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried this too, but have yet to post it. Anyway, no doubt it taste good, but we don't really like the texture of this cake, kind of too soft....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. had made this one, and sooooo yummy....perfect match between banana and chocolate...thx for share

    ReplyDelete
  19. I find the cake not sweet enough. Just wondering if more sugar is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dorothy: You can increase the sugar if you like. You can also use fully riped bananas (when skin starts turning black), as bananas are much sweeter when they are riped. It gives the cake a more natural sweetness and healthier.

    ReplyDelete