6 May 2007
Here's my 1st bake to test the "new" oven.
This vanilla cupcake is supposed to be the basic recipe for cupcakes, from a book that I have read. So I use this recipe as it looks quite simple to start up with. I only use 1/4 of the portion to test this recipe, i.e. 1 egg.
225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven to 175C. Place 18 paper baking cases in muffin tins.
2. Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth and pale, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Spoon the mixture into the cases. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Remove the tins from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack.
5. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
This is before baking.
This is after baking.
I am quite surprised at the result. It looks quite nice for someone who has never baked before. (although I had helped my mother to bake cny cookies many many years ago). This time I did it alone when nobody was at home. The taste is quite nice also. But a bit too sweet and buttery for me.
I'm quite excited. Looking for more recipes to try out again.