Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cranberry Yoghurt Chiffon Cake

I have a few more posts to clear, hopefully I can finish posting them before the year ends and for a brand new start next year.

I'm a chiffon cake lover, so here's another chiffon cake. This is adapted from HHB, I have to reduce the portion to fit my small chiffon tin.

I really like chiffon recipes that uses extra egg whites. It gives the cake more volume and more fluffy. I have not used self-raising flour or add any baking powder or cream of tartar for my chiffon cakes and the result is still very good. Strongly recommend this recipe to everyone.






Cranberry Yoghurt Chiffon Cake

Ingredients (makes one 16cm chiffon tin)

2 egg yolks (use large eggs)
15g caster sugar
30ml vegetable oil
60g plain yoghurt (I use meiji low-fat with mixed berry)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
60g cake flour

3 egg whites (use large eggs)
40g caster sugar

30g dried cranberries, chopped to small pieces and coat lightly with cake flour

Method

1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until well-mixed.
2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by yoghurt and lemon juice. Whisk till combined.
3. Add in sifted cake flour and whisk until combined, do not overmix.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches.
6. Add in the dried cranberries. Fold in gently.
7. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 35 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
9. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.

Recipe from: 好吃戚风蛋糕轻松上手 and HHB

15 comments:

  1. your chiffon reminded me the yogurt i put in the fridge look like going to expire soon or already expired...oh no
    how to make sure the cranberry is not sinked under the cake...yours have done perfectly...i like it a lot...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks soft and fluffy :)
    using the mixed berries yoghurt must be enhancing the taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherleen: Actually I specially bought this yogurt for making this chiffon cos I like this brand and flavour. I cut the cranberries into smaller pieces, then lightly coat with flour, shake off the excess flour before adding to batter. Luckily they did not sink. :)

    Alice: Thanks! I like this mixed berries yoghurt. Gives the cake a light fruity aroma when baking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...this looks so tantalizing. Soft & fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had bookmark this recipe however I haven't try out yet. Yours look soft and fluffy, tempt me to bake one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hankerie: Thanks!!

    Happy Flour: I also bookmark this for very long, finally did it. You should make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edith: Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi SSB,

    I would like to take this chance to wish you a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays! Thanks for organising Aspiring Bakers, I learned how to bake and try out so many new recipes this year! Wish you all the best and happy holidays! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jasline: Thanks! Do join AB more often to keep it going! Wish you a Merry Christmas too!

    shan: 谢谢!冬至快乐!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi SSB,
    I have a question. my mum recently bought some bundt can tins instead of chiffon can tins by mistake for my christmas present. As a bundt cake tin has fluted edges and grooves, is it possible to bake a chiffon cake in a bundt cake tin?
    Also, how would we be able to get the cake out of the tin if we cannot grease the pan when baking a chiffon cake?
    Looking forward to your reply!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Simply bakes,

    I think chiffon cakes are best baked in a proper chiffon tin. Or else you might have difficulty removing the cake.

    If you are using a chiffon tin, you can either use your hands or a thin-bladed knife to remove the cake nicely. Check the video here.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxTKF8UQ6SA

    If you are using the knife, run the knife along the side of the pan, release the upper tube from the base. Then run the knife along the base and the centre core, invert and the cake will be out.

    Hope it helps! Happy 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I love chiffon cakes, yours looks really yummy...have bookmark this will try out soon. Thanks for sharing..:)

    ReplyDelete