Sunday, April 06, 2008

A new bread machine

6 April 2008

Updates for the past week...

I had 2 not very successful bakes, so not in the mood to post them up. I tried baking the Milk Loaf again using the borrowed bread machine, adding some green tea powder to it after I saw this Green Tea Milk Loaf. However, the bread didn't turned out to be good. The centre of the bread seemed to be a bit moist. No idea why it was like that. Didn't taste that good either so I didn't take any photos too.

Then I tried making the Thin-crust vegetarian pizza from Happy Homebaker. But again, it was not good. First of all, the crust wasn't thin at all. It was actually quite thick and hard to bite in. I had used the bread machine and set it to "Dough" function to knead the dough. Then I also overbaked the pizza and the cheese on top was burnt.


The good thing about this week is, I have just bought the Bluesky bread machine from Carrefour at the promotional price of $69.90.


Then, I happened to borrow a new book from the library called "Bread: The definitive guide to making bread by hand or machine". It has a basic guide of using the bread machine and the recipes show procedures of making breads both by hand or in a machine.


To try my new machine, I bake the simplest bread in that book, the Farmhouse White Loaf. It doesn't include any milk or egg so I thought it would be nice to try. If it turns out good, then I can prepare the ingredients at night and use the delay timer function to get freshly baked bread in the next morning.


No bread improver is used and this bread still taste quite soft and fluffy, except that the crust is quite thick. No idea how it will turn the next day as it was finished up in the same day (my father eats bread 3 times a day, haha!). It is best eaten toasted or spread with jams as it is just a pure plain bread.


Farmhouse White Loaf
(Recipe from Bread: The definitive guide to making bread by hand or machine)

Ingredients (500g loaf)
300g bread flour
1 tbsp butter (about 14g)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
175ml water
2 tsp milk powder (optional, for richer and golden crust) (I forget to add)

Method
1. Lift the tin out of the bread machine, fit the kneader blade then add the measured cold water and butter. Spoon in the flour then add the sugar and salt (make sure the flour covers the liquid completely and add sugar and salt in different corners of the tin). Make a slight dip in the centre of the flour and sprinkle in the yeast.
2. Insert the tin into the bread machine. Shut the lid and set to basic white bread, select size of loaf, and medium crust (I choose light crust). Press start.
3. At the end of the programme, lift the tin out of the machine. Loosen the bread with a plastic spatula then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.

For 750g/1kg loaf, or making by hand, refer to the book. Lazy to type all. :)

That's all for the long post!

16 comments:

  1. SSB,
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I also bought this breadmaker from Carrfour too :)
    Very funny, how come when I select "light crust" the bread always turn out dark in colour? :( Your crust look soft, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. *clap* grats on the bread machine! :D u know what! i went to check it out last week too~ but decided not to buy it, as i am afraid i will be too obsessed with it :P my exams coming up soon, need to take time off baking. =( show me more of your bakes k! keep me happy~ :P

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily, thanks! Still got a lot to learn. :)

    Hi myhomekitchen, you bought this too! :) Indeed very funny. I don't have this problem, my bread has a light crust. Did u follow the instructions to bake empty before using? Or try more recipes to see?

    Actually, the crust is quite hard to bite. Not very soft. Luckily the insides are soft.

    Thanks Amanda! Ya, better concentrate on studies. Baking can be quite addictive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to bake empty! Only realised after my first bake! :( Effect so big, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new tool. Maybe I shd start switching to make bread, less fattening hor. Staple food anyway too.

    I think i love to look at the book you borrow too. Must go search see Jurong library hv or not. ;-)

    Happy making breads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi myhomekitchen, I'm also not sure if this is the reason or not. But since we are all using the same brand from the same source, then there shouldn't be any problem with the machine. Could be due to the recipe, but I'm still very new to breadmaking so can't offer any useful tips. :)

    Hi Sherlyn, thanks! Yes lor, my fanily don't really like sweet stuffs so it's best that I can bake some breads for them since we eat them everyday.

    Haha, I'm still having the book. But I saw there's another one by the same author. Hope u can find it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I'm looking for one good, healthy bread machine simple loaf where I can make often for home consumption. I'm definitely going to try this out one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi SSB, I have kept a copy of the same farmhouse white bread recipe. Will certainly give it a try :)

    For pizza dough, I usually knead by hand, as it is very easy to handle. You won't want to over knead the dough. Just hand knead for about 10mins...at most 15mins will do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Aimei and HHB, I tried out this recipe so that I can use the delay timer function and no need to eat overnight breads. I'm waiting to see more bread posts from u both. :)

    Hi HHB, haha... lazy me, should have used my hands to knead instead. Thanks for the tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I own the same bread maker as you. Have tried baking breads thrice, following the recipe that comes with the machine, but all failed :( Besides this bread, have you tried any other recipe that works with the bluesky machine? pls share with me! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi pebsb, I did not use the recipes provided in the manual.

    You can try the cream cheese bread and milk loaf, both very nice and soft.
    http://smallsmallbaker.blogspot.com/2008/05/yummy-cream-cheese.html
    http://smallsmallbaker.blogspot.com/2008/03/machine-at-work.html

    I don't know why your breads fail and how they turn out. Just be careful with all your measurements. Follow the steps in adding the ingredients. Liquid first, followed by the flour. Make sure the flour covers the liquid completely. Use your finger to make a slight dip in the centre of the flour and sprinkle in the yeast. Don't let the yeast comes into contact with any liquid or sugar/salt.

    You can also refer to Happy Home Baking blog. She has many wonderful bread recipes and very detail in steps and descriptions. http://happyhomebaking.blogspot.com/.

    Hope you can make a perfect bread the next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I also bought the same breadmaker a few years ago but unfortunately, I lost the recipe book. Does anyone has one to share with me as I cannot make any bread without the recipe. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Is your BLUESKY breadmaker still in working condition? thought of buying a cheaper one if its still good on yours...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shabbycottage: Unfortunately, my breadmachine is spoilt. Lasted only a good 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi...


    thanks for the great wat of showing this way of preparing, actuallyim having the same maching but i lost the recipes book which comes along with, could u plz write for me the recipes for making cake in that machine


    thanks alot

    ReplyDelete