Sunday, October 14, 2007

Banana Chiffon Cake

13 October 2007



It was only 2 days after I made my 1st chiffon cake. I can't wait to try another chiffon cake again. :) This time a Banana Chiffon Cake, recipe is also taken from "Chiffon Cake is Done" by Kevin Chai. Oh, I didn't buy that book, I "copy" the recipe when I'm browsing books at the bookstore. Hehe...

I must say I have started to like banana cakes. It is so soft and spongy that I think a 6 inch chiffon tin seems a bit too small for my family. Each of us only get to eat a small piece and seems like not enough for us to eat!

I think I did a better job this time. I'm more used to beating the egg whites. I will set to a low speed when beating the last batch of sugar so that I can control the consistency better. I check by tilting the mixing bowl, if the mixture does not flow and remain in shape, then it is probably around there. But the mixture must still remain smooth and glossy and not overbeaten. I think I still need more practice to be very sure. Another thing I discover is that I need to turn the cake upside down AS SOON AS it is removed from the oven. I remembered for the Milo chiffon cake, I was very slow and that's why the cake sank very fast. This time it is a bit better. But I think it will be good if I can do it faster. Lastly, I can't seem to remove cake properly. As you can see from the photo, parts of the cake on the sides still remain in the tin!


Ingredients (portion reduced to using 2 eggs for 6 inch tin)
2 egg yolks
1/8 tsp salt
20ml oil
60g banana puree (1 medium banana)
15g sugar
35g plain flour
1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
30g sugar

Method
1. Combine egg yolks, salt, sugar and beat until pale in colour. Add oil and mix well. Add banana puree and mix well.
2. Fold in plain flour and bicarbonate of soda until batter forms.
3. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Add in sugar gradually in 3 portions until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold in egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture, 1/3 at a time.
5. Pour mixture into ungreased tin and bake at 170C for 25 mins.
6. Remove from oven and quickly turn the chiffon cake upside down on a wire rack.
7. Wait for the cake to cool completely before removing it from the tin.

16 comments:

  1. I think that's a very good attempt!! at least better than me, I failed the first time and hv yet to make another try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your nice comments!

    I think you should try it too. I'm sure you can do it better than me with your good skills. Will wait for you to post your chiffon cakes ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was looking thryu K. Chai's book this morning, and was thinking of making a banana chiffon cake...but the pan size is for 23cm. So I gave up, now that you can actually halve it for a 16cm pan, I'm gonna try later :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the photo of your banana chiffon cake on flickr :) So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your chiffon cake looks good :D
    is it ok if i link you? (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sweet-tooth, of course you can!
    I visited your blog, your chiffon cake looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, let me know which recipe or the kind of flavour u like, I can email the recipes to u, so u dont have to copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chiffon looks so nice! So good that you can get it on your first attempt. Wondering when will I be able to get a nice tall chiffon out from the oven! :) You gals are all marvellous. Btw, usually how long is the cooling time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Happy Homebaker. You are so nice! ;)

    Thanks Aimei! I think your bakes are even nicer leh. I'm sure your next chiffon cake will be much better. My 1st one didn't look very good too.

    For the 2 times I baked chiffon cake, I started after lunch, finished in about 1 hour's time, and leave to cool for about 1 hour. Just nice to have it for teatime. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got that book!
    Somehow not all his recipe work out for me.
    My 1st Banana Chiffon is kind of wet. I'm baking the 2nd time later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sukkimi, thanks for visiting my blog. I have only tried this recipe from this book. For me, chiffon cake is still quite hard to master. I fail my chiffon cake several times.

    Hope you have better luck this time. You have a blog to share your baking experience? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Small Small Baker,
    I've did the Banana Chiffon 2nd time. Better the 1st time. Still not light and fluffy as normal chiffon should be.

    As suggested by KC's forumer, she say flour / fluid ratio should be around 66%. Perhaps i whould add more flour to my Banana Chiffon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sukkimi, glad to know that your banana chiffon has improved a little. Actually, I didn't know that the flour / fluid ratio should be around 66%. Thanks for telling me!

    I think you can try modifying the recipe. However, beating egg whites is an important factor that determines the success/failure of a chiffon cake, so keep that in mind too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Small Small Baker,

    I was surfing around for a banana cake recipe and found yours. I tried and turn out very nice except the side was not brown. Thanks for sharing.

    Rgds
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy, glad that you like this recipe. Thanks for linking me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi SSB,

    Hehe I really liked your recipes as they are just nice for my one and only cake tin.

    Unfortunately, my banana chiffon cake did not turn out as well as yours. Will try again next time.

    Btw, hope you don't mind me linking you in my posts.

    Cheers,
    Ronni
    http://cookingmemos.blogspot.com/2010/04/thankful-banana-chiffon-cake.html

    ReplyDelete