Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Melt-in-mouth German Cookies: Chocolate Marble Version

I started on my CNY cookies baking last weekend. I don't intend to bake a lot this year, although I might be tempted to bake more after seeing all the cookies posted. :) No more pineapple tarts this year after baking for 3 consecutive years, I'm a little sick of wrapping pineapple balls. ;)

So I plan to make 2 of my favourite cookies from past years. One of them is this Melt-in-mouth German Cookies, very well-rated by everyone who tasted.


This year's one comes with a new variation, the Chocolate Marble Version, learnt from Min and Ann.


I prefer this chocolate version since I like anything chocolate. You can also replace cocoa powder with green tea powder if you like green tea flavour.


This cookie is very soft and delicate. I give my little nieces one and they "crush them into powder form" as they hold too tightly. Wasted. Hehe! I make them smaller so that you can just pop the whole cookie into your mouth. It will just melt in your mouth!


I will quickly post this recipe up, so that you can try making it for this CNY. If you still have not make this cookie yet, please move this recipe to the top of your list and don't wait anymore. Do it NOW!

Melt-in-mouth German Cookies: Chocolate Marble Version

Ingredients (makes 60 pieces)

125g butter (I use SCS butter)
40g icing sugar, sifted
125g potato starch
80g superfine flour/plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder

Method

1. Beat butter and icing sugar till fluffy and lighter in colour.

2. Sift in potato starch and flour, mix to form a soft dough.

3. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions, add 1 tbsp of cocoa powder to 1 portion and knead well.

4. Divide the plain dough into 60 pieces and the chocolate dough into 60 pieces.
(Or you can just pinch a bit of dough from both plain and chocolate dough. But make sure the combined dough are of roughly equal sizes.) Roll into small balls to form marble pattern.

5. Arrange on lined baking pan and press lightly with a fork (dip the fork in water after each press to prevent cookie dough from sticking to the fork).

6. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 15 mins, upper rack (need not bake till cookies turn brown).

Recipe adapted from: Melt-in-mouth German Cookies (last year) and Min's blog