Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Vegan Chocolate Cake

1 November 2007


I tried this Vegan chocolate cake yesterday as I'm very curious about how a cake that does not contain any butter, egg and milk would taste like. It's not a very beautiful cake. I'm not sure if I bake enough or not. The cake is quite dense and moist. The taste I would say is ok. Can't compare it with other chocolate cakes. But it's definitely a healthier cake and probably would taste much better with frosting.


Ingredients (8 inch round)
300g self raising wholemeal flour (I use self raising flour)
50g cocoa powder
3 tsp baking powder
250g caster sugar
few drops vanilla essence
9 tbsp sunflower oil
350ml water

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 170C.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the caster sugar and vanilla essence, then gradually beat in the sunflower oil and water to make a smooth batter.
3. Pour the cake mixture into a lined and greased tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
4. Bake at 170C for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave in the tin for about 5 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.


Bake another Marble chocolate cake today for my mother's friend.

I have also bought a bottle of bakeable green tea powder. Will try out some green tea cake soon.

12 comments:

  1. This cake looks good! I like chocolate cakes that are dense and fudgy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Though I'm not expert. But I think the oil substitute the butter, water replace the egg and it has 3 tsp of baking powder to make it raise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks HHB and JY! I think it's the icing sugar that makes the cake looks good lah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I really shouldn't have come here in the wee hours of the morn. Now I'm craving for a slice of that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ovenhaven, thanks for your sweet comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how tall and imponent it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Small Small baker for the recipe, I try it this week-end and was delicious. Mine came out not so dense (personal taste!,I like cake that are dense) and it was quit moist. Also, add 50 ml more water.I cook mine in a bundt pan for 30 min.

    Stephie

    ReplyDelete
  8. small small baker20 November 2007 15:22

    Hi Stephie, I'm so happy to know that you have tried and liked it. Hope to see you posting your bakes some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry for the flood of comments but i really couldn't help it!

    a cake without butter and baked with wholemeal flour.. that certainly sounds healthy.. but i can't imagine how a cake without butter tases like! bread?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It tasted more like muffins and quickbreads as the method of mixing is similar. Good for the vegans and people who are health conscious.

    ReplyDelete