Saturday, February 04, 2012

Nestum Cereal Prawn/Tofu

Ever since that Salted Egg Yolk Tofu, I have been eager to try cooking cereal prawn, which also uses curry leaves. I bought a can of Nestum cereal just for making cereal prawn. Ya, I don't like drink cereal since young till now.

Tried a few times, my cereal prawn not always successful. Sometimes, I'm too stingy with the cereal, sometimes, the cereal not crispy enough, or rather the crispiness did not last long. (No choice, my family all eat dinner at different time, so cannot satisfy everyone, those who eat late, no choice lor).

The Nestum Cereal Tofu, which was cooked just last night, is one of the most successful one. Lots of cereal (though still not enough) and the cereal is crispy. Everyone is very satisfied after eating it. Children only like to eat the cereal, I think can just cook butter cereal for them, without the prawn or tofu. Hehe!

Nestum Cereal Prawn


Ingredients
16 large prawns, shelled and deveined, washed and pat dry
(you can keep the shell intact, but our family me lazy to peel mah)
salt and pepper, to taste (I will update after more trials)

1 large tbsp butter (40-50g)
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 bird’s eye chilli, sliced thinly (optional)

* Cereal mixture:
8 tbsp nestum cereal
4 tsp milk powder
3 tsp sugar
Mix them altogether and set aside.

* Still fine-tuning for perfection. Will need to add more cos too good and not enough for everyone.

Method

1. Marinate the prawns with salt and pepper. Heat some oil in a frying pan (my pan too small lah) and pan-fry the prawns till cooked. Dish out and drain well.
(You can deep-fry them till golden brown and crispy but me opt for healthier lazier version.)


2. In the same frying pan, melt butter, and then add in curry leaves and chilli (if any) and stir fry until fragrant.


3. Add in cereal mixture. Stir rapidly until well mixed.


4. Off the heat, add in the prawns. Stir until the prawns are well-coated. Dish out and serve immediately.


Nestum Cereal Tofu
(same recipe as above, replacing prawns with 3 pieces firm tofu, each cut into 8 pieces)


I am submitting this Nestum Cereal Prawn to Aspiring Bakers #15: Auspicious Dishes for CNY (January 2012), hosted by Wen's Delight.