Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mandarin Orange Chiffon Cake

Chinese New Year is just over. If you still have lots of Mandarin oranges left, why not make a Mandarin Orange Chiffon Cake.


I happen to be browsing through Bernice's Kitchen blog recently (still halfway only). She really bakes a lot, especially a lot of breads. If you want to look for bread recipes, you can go over if you can read Chinese.


But instead of making breads, I started with one of her chiffon cakes. It was originally an Orange Chiffon Cake, but since it was during CNY, we only had lots of Mandarin oranges, I did a Mandarin orange version.


I always love chiffon cakes for its lightness.


Mandarin Orange Chiffon Cake

Ingredients (makes one 17cm chiffon tin)

3 egg yolks
20g sugar
30g vegetable oil
40ml fresh Mandarin orange juice
zest of 1 Mandarin orange
50g cake flour

3 egg whites
50g sugar
5g corn flour

Method

1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by Mandarin orange juice and zest.
3. Sift cake flour twice and add into egg yolk mixture. Mix until just combined. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add in combined sugar and corn flour mixture gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches.
6. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 35 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
8. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.

Recipe adapted from: 戚风蛋糕&泡芙 (Bernice's Kitchen)

19 comments:

  1. oh tea time now...i make a cup of coffee for you, you treat me your chiffon cake, good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 我有用过柑来做天使蛋糕
    好好吃:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy...must be really yummy.
    Its looks so light and spongey...^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    May I have the recipe for the original Orange Chiffon Cake, please?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherleen: Good idea! Wish I can taste your goodies too!

    鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝: 反正家里很多,就不要浪费。真的蛮好吃的。:)

    mui mui: Yes, it's really light. And it does't use any baking powder or cream of tartar. So I can say it is not necessary at all!

    Ifi: Hi, it's the same recipe. You just replace with orange juice and zest instead of Mandarin orange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a great use of leftover mandarin oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 我家还有蛮多的柑咧!

    可以考虑弄七风了

    ReplyDelete
  8. See the texture,it's really soft n light!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aiyo, SSB. I think that you're just too expert to do any chiffon cake. All looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm still trying to clear the mandarin oranges in my fridge too >_< can taste any difference between using this orange vs other kinds we usually use?

    ReplyDelete
  11. noobcook: Yeah! You can use it to cook as well with your great cooking skills. :)

    sean: 我家的柑早就吃完了!还好我快手快脚,拿了两粒。:)

    Pink Lady: I also like its texture. You can tell how much I like chiffon haha!

    hankerie: Thanks! Not expert yet but I hope to become one. Maybe after making many many chiffon cakes first.

    Lala: Actually the difference is not much. But come to think of it, I think I still prefer normal oranges. It seems to smell more fragrant during baking, personal opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. It looks so pretty. Trader Joe's has these new freeze dried mandarin oranges. They would look lovely on top of this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi SSB! I love the look of your Chiffon! You're quite the expert on this!! Texture looks very soft and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi SSB! I tried n love yr chiffon cake man! Anyway i wld like to ask if i m able to replace orange juice and orange zest with coffee n milk to bake a coffee chiffon cake? *using the same measurements for other ingredients

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never try before, usually I follow recipe exactly. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of this book. But you can try with coffee and milk. :)

      Delete
  15. I really like the texture of this recipe!! I tried your coffee chiffon cake recipe but I feel that it's a little dry. I'lltry replAcing coffee n milk n let you know how it goes!! Anyway, I still have some doubts about chiffon cake. Hope you can help me with it. How come this recipe does not require cream of tar tar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cream of tartar is used to stabilize the beaten egg whites. Recently there are a lot of recipes that uses cornflour instead of tartar, I believe it has the same stabilizing effect. Nowadays I also prefer to add cornflour, makes the cake healthier without the chemicals. :)

      Delete
  16. love it!! it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete