Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Some homemade meals and a short break

Normally my mother decides what to cook for vegetable dishes (my parents are vegetarian and we cook vegetable and meat dishes separately). The meat dishes are forever the same. If there is fish, we steam or pan-fry; if there is prawn, we stir-fry; if there is chicken, we braise. We seldom eat pork cos we have a helper at home. If I'm eating alone, I like to steam chicken with red dates and wolfberries - quick and delicious. Or just steam minced pork and egg.


This was the rare time I cooked something special. Homemade Char Siew from Baking Mum - a non-baked version. I bought wu hua rou (五花肉) which is recommended for making char siew. But I still find it a little tough. But the braising sauce was really sweet and nice.



This was Mashed Potatoes with Eggs 偷师 from Wendy. Using a simple ratio of 1 russet potato : 1 hard boiled egg : 1 tbsp butter, the taste was so good! Definitely going to keep this recipe well.



Lastly, this Chicken Macaroni Soup with Wolfberries was my eat-alone meal. I don't really have a recipe, just anyhow cook. Writing it down for my own reference and for future adjustment.

(serves 1)
1. Boil 1/2 cup macaroni with water till almost cooked.
2. Add 50g chicken fillet (sliced thinly).
3. When the chicken is cooked, add in 10 wolfberries, some sesame oil, salt and pepper to taste.

* Sorry if you find the recipe too simple. It is strictly according to my boring tastebuds, which prefer plain food... garlic, spring onions, shallots are out for me, and I don't need chicken powder or other extra seasoning. The wolfberries are added to make it healthier, it is very good our eyes especially.


***

Lastly, as I foresee myself not going to update this blog very often, just treat me as if I'm taking a short break. I will still write some post but it will be slow and taking my own sweet time. Meanwhile, I just rest and relax, recharging and be back with goodies.

我要放轻松,闭关修炼廖。。。