Sunday, January 20, 2008

CNY Cookies 1

20 January 2008

Yes, I'm a bit excited. Today I bake my first batch of CNY cookies - cornflake cookies. As it is only my first try, I use only half the recipe and I take the whole morning to do it.


I use a recipe taken from a book and I suspect that the recipe is not very accurate. The dough is very sticky and I am unable to roll them into little balls as the dough keep sticking to my hands. I have to add more flour, little at a time until it doesn't stick anymore. Then, just roll the little balls with more cornflakes, place them in little paper cups and bake.


I make 40 little cornflake cookies and put them nicely in a container just like those selling outside. I wonder if they taste good as compared to the commercial ones (actually I have not tried cornflakes cookies before, haha!). But I'm quite sure I will not buy any cornflakes cookies this year, cos nothing can beat home-made cookies. :)

Cornflake Cookies
(Original recipe from Easy Cookies)

Ingredients (makes 40 with half the recipe)
200g butter
200g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs
240g plain flour (recommend to add more if the dough is too soft)
1 tsp baking powder
30g ground cornflakes
60g cornflakes, for coating

Method
1. Cream butter and sugar. Add in egg and essence, mix well.
2. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder gradually. Then add in ground cornflakes. Knead to form dough.
3. Roll small dough into round shape, then roll with cornflakes. Put into paper cups.
4. Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Yay .. home made CNY cookies. When you can bake them, you are not so dependent on the market for cookies anymore.

    Looks very very presentable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherlyn! Are u going to bake cny cookies? Hope to see your posts soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm I m not baking any CNY cookies cos i m not suppose to bake any as dh's grandpa just pass away last yr aug. Maybe after CNY when i hv time, will bake some to try. Currently dun hv any recipes .. so maybe wait for your lovely cresent moon shape cookie recipe. Worried abt making cookies, cos don't know how to transfer the cut cookie to baking pan .. but will find time to try (now busy spring clean).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see. For this cashew nut cookies, it's not difficult to transfer. It actually sticks the the cutter whenever I cut into the dough, and I just need to push it out from the cutter onto the baking tray. Could be because the cookie cutter is really small too. Will be posting the recipe soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i tried to bake the cornflakes cookies with the receipes but its not successful... half way thru the baking.. the cookies dough melted flat on the pan.. is the quantity on flour and cornflakes correct ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi pluffies, I'm not sure if the recipe is correct. I followed the recipe from a book exactly. I ended up with a sticky dough and was unable to roll them into little balls. I have added more flour until the dough didn't stick and able to form into balls.

    Sometimes recipe books can be unreliable, maybe you can try again or look for a recipe that is tested successfully. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello to all bakers! Happy Chinese New Year. Have you all baked your own CNY cookies? Don't worry about me coz I have just successfully make my own GREEN PEA COOKIES. They are AWESOME......

    ReplyDelete