No more excuse for not making baos, I finally tried making my first wrapped baos. I didn't put much filling cos I'm not sure if I can wrap properly. Actually it means, if I put too much filling, I dunno how to wrap, haha! Ok, will be better next time.
For the bao skin I use 孟老师 two-time proofing method. Actually, a lot of people like to use 孟老师 recipes. But I find that her bao skin recipe is quite tasteless. But I like the simple recipe, may not the best, probably also have to increase the sugar if you want to use.
Curry Potato Buns 咖哩马铃薯包 (two-time proofing method)
Fillings: (my anyhow cook method)
1 Potato, diced
1 stalk curry leaf (my homegrown)
1 tsp curry powder (more if you like)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1 hardboiled egg, diced
1. Steam or deep fry potatoes until cooked (deep fry nicer, steam healthier).
2. In a frying pan, put 1 tsp oil, fry curry leaf until fragrant.
3. Add in potatoes, curry powder, stir-fry a while.
4. Add in some water and seasoning, cook until dry. Set aside to cool. Mix with eggs.
Dough ingredients (8 pcs):
1/2 tsp instant yeast
200g plain flour
100g plain flour
1 tsp oil
1. Mix (A) water, instant yeast and flour. Cover in cling wrap and proof for 1 hour.
2. Mix (A) from step 1 with (B) and knead to form a smooth dough. Cover and rest the dough for 5 minutes.
3. Roll the dough into cylinder shape, divide into 8 equal pieces.
4. Place the dough, cut side up, press flat and roll into flat disc using rolling pin, make the outer side thinner.
5. Wrap the buns with fillings.
6. Put the buns on baking paper and into the steamer (heat off). Cover and proof for 15 minutes.
7. On the fire, when the water starts boiling and steam on medium-high heat for 12 minutes.
8. Off the heat, leave the lid slightly open for 3-5 minutes before removing the whole cover.
Recipes from: 孟老师的中式面食
I am submitting 咖哩马铃薯包 to Aspiring Bakers #31: Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013) hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.
There is a series of bao-making videos by 孟老师 on YouTube. You can search 白色20變. Here I added a video for making wrapped buns. I think it is still better to learn making baos from a video, especially the wrapping part. The rest is just more practice!