Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Aspiring Bakers: Matcha and Milktea Chiffon

I don't drink coffee and tea at all. To support this month's Aspiring Bakers #30: It's Tea Time! (April 2013), I tried out 2 types of tea chiffon cakes.

These 2 chiffon cakes are supposed to be my 12th and 13th chiffon cake (my target to do many chiffon cakes). But to avoid posting for Aspiring Bakers too late, I skip my 9-11th chiffon cakes to post up these 2 first. :)

Chiffon Cake #12: Matcha 抹茶

I wonder why my matcha chiffon did not have a nice green colour although I'm using a very good quality matcha powder. If anyone has any idea or suggestion do let me know. I love this matcha chiffon as it tastes so light and refreshing.



17cm chiffon tin:

3 egg yolks
12g sugar
36ml vegetable oil
42ml water
42g cake flour
6g matcha powder

3 egg whites
54g sugar (can reduce a little)
6g cornflour

Bake 170 deg C, 35 minutes

Adapted from Okashi: Sweet Treats Made With Love

Chiffon Cake #13: Milktea 奶茶




17cm chiffon tin:

1 tbsp tea leaves (I use 2 sachets 2g lipton tea)
30ml water
90ml milk

Heat up water till boiling, add in the tea leaves. Off the heat, cover and steep the tea for 3 minutes.
Add in milk, bring the mixture to a boil again, cook for 2-3 minutes.
Filter the mixture and measure to get 60ml* of milktea. Set aside to cool.
* If more than 60ml, can boil again to reduce to liquid, if less than 60ml, add more milk to get 60ml

3 egg yolks
20g sugar
40ml vegetable oil
80g cake flour
1 tbsp tea leaves, chopped finely (I use 2 sachets 2g lipton tea)

Whisk egg yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves. Add in vegetable oil, followed by 60ml milktea (from step above). Add tea leaves and then sifted flour.

4 egg whites
50 sugar

Beat egg whites till foamy, add in sugar gradually and whisk until stiff peak. Add egg white into the egg yolk batter in 3 additions. Pour into the cake tin. Knock the pan a few times to get rid of air bubbles.
Bake 170 deg C, 35 minutes

Adapted from 好吃戚风蛋糕轻松上手

I am submitting Matcha chiffon cake and Milktea chiffon cake to Aspiring Bakers #30: it's Tea time! (April 2013) hosted by Food Playground