Saturday, November 05, 2011

Black Sesame Chiffon Cake 黑芝麻戚风蛋糕

Ah, I'm beginning to feel the effects of ageing. Or is it technology that makes our memory getting worse. Remember the times when there was no mobile phone, I remembered all my friends telephone numbers by heart. I remembered everyone's birthdates very well. Now I cannot remember any phone numbers, probably only except my own and my home's number. I need to write notes on my phone to help me remember the to-do things and to-buy lists. :)

As I was typing this chiffon cake which I baked 1 month ago, I suddenly forgotten which recipe I had used. Terrible right. I search and see whether I have scribbled any short notes anywhere. None! I guess I had read the recipe straight from the computer when baking, so no notes found. I know it comes from one of the bloggers and not from a book. After thinking about it, I finally found the one by 茄子, which looks familiar. I'm 99% sure about it. Don't ask me about the other 1%! Haha! I hope this will be the one and only time that happen. Never again. :D

Back to this chiffon. I'm very happy to see the fine texture I got from this cake. It should be one of my best lately. I use grounded black sesame instead of black sesame powder. So it is a little nutty and grainy when you bite. I find it quite dry and not so fragrant compared to the black sesame paste chiffon I made before. Could be because I did not use good quality black sesame powder. But the recipe is still good!

Black Sesame Chiffon Cake 黑芝麻戚风蛋糕

Ingredients (makes one 17cm chiffon tin)

3 egg yolks
30g sugar
30ml vegetable oil
70ml water
80g cake flour
40g black sesame powder
1 tsp baking powder

4 egg whites
30g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (I omitted)


1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by water.
3. Fold in black sesame powder, sifted cake flour and baking powder until well-mixed. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches.
6. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 40 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
8. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.

Recipe from: 袅袅烘焙香