Saturday, November 20, 2010

Aspiring Bakers #1: Pandan Chiffon Cake

I have been receiving entries for Aspiring Bakers #1 in my email almost everyday. I certainly feel very encouraged that so many of you supported this event. I hope the good response will continue for our future monthly events too. The theme for December has already been fixed. Look out for the announcement during the roundup on 1 Dec. :)

I bake another chiffon cake for this event. Actually I wanted to be kiasu and bake 4 chiffon cakes, but I just didn't find the time, so I think this will be my 2nd and last entry for Aspiring Bakers #1.


This is my second time making Pandan Chiffon Cake. The first one failed miserably. This time I read through the How to make a Pandan Chiffon Cake: Almost everything you need to know guide, written by Dr Leslie Tay, the man behind the famous food blog ieatishootipost. To my mum who doesn't read his blog but have seen him on tv, he is the "Roti Prata man" cos I have shown her the video of this doctor making roti prata. I really want to try it out some day.


Back to this Pandan Chiffon Cake, I didn't follow his recipe exactly as he uses really big chiffon tin. I took reference from the Kiamnianwong extra egg whites recipe and roughly adjusted it to suit my small chiffon tin, trying to retain the flour to liquid ratio. Instead of using pandan essence, I use homemade pandan paste using the method from Wendy and Sonia.

Just blend 1 cup of pandan leaves with 1 cup of water. Filter and leave the liquid mixture in the fridge for a few days for it to settle down. Use the layer of pandan paste at the bottom only.


Pandan Chiffon Cake

Ingredients (makes 16cm chiffon tin)

(A)
2 egg yolks (I use 50g egg)
20g sugar
A small pinch of salt
30g vegetable oil
40g coconut milk
1 tbsp pandan paste (homemade)

(B)
55g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

(C)
3 egg whites (I use 50g egg)
45g sugar

Method

1. Whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until the sugar dissolves.

2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by coconut milk and pandan paste, and stir until well-mixed.

3. Fold in sifted cake flour and baking powder until well-mixed. Set aside.

4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Add in sugar gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.

5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches.

6. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 30 minutes. (I bake at 180 deg C for the first 10 minutes, then reduce to 170 deg C for the next 20 minutes, for my 6 inch tin.)

7. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.

8. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.

Recipe adapted from: ieatishootipost.sg - How to make a Pandan Chiffon Cake: Almost everything you need to know


I am submitting this chiffon cake to Aspiring Bakers #1: Chiffon Cakes (Nov 2010), the very first monthly baking event hosted by me. If you have baked any chiffon cakes in the month of Nov 2010, you can submit it to me by 30 Nov 2010. Click here for the details.

If you want to be the host for future monthly events or suggest a theme, please email to smallsmallbaker@yahoo.com.sg.

23 comments:

  1. That's a very nice Pandan Chiffon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to use homemade pandan paste huh, fresh and good! I have yet to try out pandan chiffon using homemade pandan paste, must make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks perfect, and with home-made pandan paste, no less :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never get bored eating pandan chiffon. Yours really have the soft & fine texture. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pandan chiffon is always the classic! Your cake is great and all made with homemade natural ingredients. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a good job,it looks very soft and fluffy!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the kind comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello small small baker
    I have chiffon cake tin 18 cm. I read ur post for 2 yolks and 3 white was baked in a 16 cm tin. Kindly advise me can I can my 18 cm to bake for this chiffon proportion?

    Thank you and look for your ur reply soon.

    Warm rgds
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Priscilla, I think you can. It was overfilled for my 16cm tin. But I have never baked in a 18cm tin before so I'm not too sure if it will become too short in a 18cm tin. You can bake a little longer. Hope it turns out good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Small small Baker for your kind response.

    My 18 cm tin which measured 7 inch across diameter. As I have not used my 18 cm tin yet, I do not wish to buy another smaller tin 16 cm which I saw in a shop. The 16 cm tin I saw comes with three legs/stands. I have not seen a 16 cm tube chiffon tin with legs before, hence, I think quite unusual and I think is good.

    Perhaps, if u do not mind, cud u let me know what is the measurement of your 16 cm (across diameter) tin in order for me to decide whether I should go ahead to purchase that 16 cm c/w legs from the shop.

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Priscilla, my 16cm tin measures 16cm/6.5inch in diameter. It is quite small for my family. I have been wanting to get a bigger chiffon tin. My chiffon cakes don't succeed all the time, so it is good to use a smaller tin as practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    Can you teach me the correct way of 'Fold in'? Does 'fold in' means using a spatula stir in clockwise direction?

    Many thanks :)
    Chilliqueen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi chilliqueen,

    I found 2 videos for you on youtube, both in Chinese. I find it very useful for me too. Hope it helps.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U26Idca9FiA&feature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNR4VUTLEu0

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Small Small Baker,

    Many thanks in answering my query. I find the video clips very helpful indeed.
    Meanwhile, I am curious about the difference between buttercream and buttercream icing. If I would like to decorate my cupcakes, which one should I use? Hope you have some ideas on this...

    Best regards,
    Chilliqueen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Chilliqueen, I think buttercream and buttercream icing means the same thing. Unfortunately, as you can see I hardly do decorations, so I'm not experienced enough to give you any advice. You can refer to this site for understanding about buttercream.

    http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_buttercream.htm

    The classic buttercream is easier for beginner but it is very sweet. If you are confident, you can try Italian or Swiss Meringue Buttercream, which is quite popular with many bloggers.

    Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so fluffy and soft!! I love pandan flavor, somemore is natural one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hankerie: Thanks for your compliments! Yes, it's natural, no colouring added!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hihi, can I ask how do I measure the chiffon tin. If it is 16cm? Does it mean the circumference or across the tin? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The measurements like 16 cm or 6 inch is the diameter across the tin. When you are buying, they will also label the chiffon tins either in cm or inch. From mini ones like 10cm to big ones 25cm.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the response! Can I also ask what is considered self raising flour? Do you mean cake flour or all purpose flour. I am new in baking and is abit confuse on the difference in the flour used.

      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Self raising flour has baking powder in it. It's plain flour + baking powder.

      All purpose is the same as plain flour. Plain flour and cake flour do not have baking powder. You can check joy of baking for the ingredient substitution.

      Plain flour can be used to make most things like cakes, cookies, tarts, muffins. For cakes with finer texture like sponge cakes and chiffon, cake flour is better than plain flour.

      Hope it helps! :)

      Delete
  18. Hi,

    May I ask how much is 30g of veg oil and 40g of coconut milk in ml? Thks

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow..nice cake..must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can you please provide a vegetarian version of this cake ?

    ReplyDelete