Monday, October 18, 2010

Marble Cake 大理石蛋糕

I shall keep this post simple.


This is a simple marble cake recipe taken from 孟老师的100道小蛋糕. It is derived from the original pound cake recipe which uses 1 pound of butter, 1 pound of sugar, 1 pound of eggs, and 1 pound of flour. For healthy reasons, the sugar amount is reduced. It came out a bit dry, but tasted better on the second day. I thought the recipe should add some milk to make the cake moist. This is one recipe from 孟老师 that falls short of expectation.


Marble Cake 大理石蛋糕

Ingredients (makes 18cm x 8cm x 6cm cake loaf)

100g unsalted butter
70g castor sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
100g eggs, lightly beaten
100g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
10g cocoa powder

Method

1. Line the loaf tin with baking paper and lightly grease it to prevent sticking.

2. Soften the butter at room temperature. Add in sugar and whisk until light and creamy.

3. Slowly whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract until well-mixed.

4. Add in sifted flour and baking powder. Mix well with a spatula.

5. Scoop up 150g of the batter in step 4 into another mixing bowl. Sift in baking soda and cocoa powder. Mix well to make chocolate batter.

6. Pour the plain batter into the loaf tin first. Then spread the chocolate batter on top of the plain batter. Lightly swirl the batter with a spatula to make marble patterns.

7. Bake at preheated oven at 180 deg C for 30-35 minutes.

Recipe from: 孟老师的100道小蛋糕

Note: Written above is the original recipe from the book. Any adaptation is written in brackets ().

15 comments:

  1. so nice! i have try it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and nice. delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi SSB,
    Nice to see your nicely baked pound cake here! I don't have this book and always wonder are all the recipes as good as the bread one? Anyway, you've proved it here, the cake looks very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing, I would love to give it a try. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your marble pound cake looks good! Pound cake is one of my favourites. I would bake with cream cheese and wait for 2 days before eating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way a marble cake looks, it always unique. Your cake too, pretty and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delicious classic pound cake. ;) Will make it soon, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's rare to find 孟老師's recipes fall short of expectations. LOL! I've had one myself, it's one of her cookie recipes from her book. Yet to blog about it ... but reluctant to blog about it too. LOL!

    Nonetheless, I love the look of it. I love the split top! Doesn't matter if it's a bit dry, as long as it's acceptable, I'm OK. I ain't a fussy eater!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the cake looks delicious, some cakes tasted better when older :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi SSB,

    I saw this book last week and was really tempted to buy it! but I bought too many books lately and have not had any chance to use them, hence have to put it on hold.

    I agree that a little milk (maybe 2 -4 tbsp) will do the trick of making it moist. Still looks good to me though =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really did not remember having this in the book... looks like the books are collecting dust ... sigh..

    Your cake looks perfect. Must find a time to try it, small cake easy to finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nonetheless, your marble cake is very pretty! Even if the taste didn't meet your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joceline, jess @ j3ss kitch3n, Zoe, Grace, busygran, DG, HBS, Jess @ Bakericious & Esther:

    Thank you for the nice comments!

    **
    Hi Pei-Lin,
    Haven't tried many of 孟老師's recipes yet. But so far all of them were quite good. I did try one of her cookies before and it was not good so I did not blog about it. I'm not very fussy too, but my mum keep complaining too dry lor. :)

    Want to try all 孟老師's recipes. Is it possible? Haha!

    **
    Hi Bakertan,
    I saw you got her book on swiss roll. I order it already, waiting for it to arrive. :)

    **
    Hi sherlyn,
    My books also collecting dust too. My 孟老師's books are all soft-copies, all stored in my laptop. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks yummy to me and not dry from the photos. Look forward to more of your bakes ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. THe marbling effect is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete