Sunday, March 01, 2009

Banana Cake


Time to start baking! I bake this Banana Cake using HHB's recipe. Have to leave out the wholemeal flour and use plain flour instead cos I don't have that at home. The cake somehow looks quite different from hers. My cake splits and "explodes" at the top and doesn't remain flat and nice like hers!


I like this recipe as it uses very little sugar and the butter is not too much. As a result, the banana cake is not overly sweet and oily. I like the top crust which is slightly crunchy and sugary with the extra sugar sprinkled on top. The cake inside remains soft. The banana taste strangely isn't that strong. Maybe I use the wrong type of bananas or the bananas are not ripe enough?


I bake this cake in this newly-bought mini loaf pan from Daiso. Daiso is a heaven for cheap, small and cute baking stuffs. There are mini chiffon pans, tart pans, heart-shaped pans, etc. I'm tempted to get the mini chiffon pans. They look really cute. But the thought of washing many mini ones instead of 1 large one puts me off. I would rather not buy! :)

13 comments:

  1. Instead of using vanilla essence
    (as in HHB's recipe) , you can use banana essence, That will make your cake with stronger banana taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SSB, I think it is the small pan size that causes your cake to 'explode'...since it has less room to expand. and maybe the sliced bananas which I lined on the cake surface would also help to prevent the cake from cracking??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite unusual to have banana cake to have crack top like yours... Issit moist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bakeling, thanks for reminding me. Got to get a bottle. :)

    HHB, maybe you are right. Could be the size of pan. I have not baked in a loaf pan before. Have to try it on other cakes and see. I didn't add sliced bananas on top cos there's no more banana left. :)

    Angeleyes, it's unusual to crack ah? You know what's the reason? Is it because the oven temp is too high? Cos I'm using a smaller loaf pan than recommended. Should I reduce the baking temperature? It still remains moist inside. The crust is harder and I cover the cake with alum foil for the last few minutes to prevent the top from browning too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your banana cake looks great even with the crack! I love the sugary crust :)

    I agree with HHB, your cake probably cracked because of the smaller cake pan. A general rule of thumb I stick to when baking cakes is that the batter shouldn't be more than 1/2 or 2/3 of the pan, depending on the amt of leavening used. Since this recipe has quite an amount of leavening (2 tsp bp), I'd stick to about 1/2 the pan.

    Also, when I bake in a smaller pan, I lower the temperature, and increase the baking time. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great banana cake! Looks moist and so tasteful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Talita! :)

    Thanks ovenhaven for the valuable advice! I think I fill up the pan too much. I obviously still don't have the common sense to adjust the recipe according to the pan sizes and take note of the amt of leavening used. I just wrote a big note to remind myself that. Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everytime I visit your blog, I tell myself "I hope one day I can bake like that too", hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wiffy, your bakes actually looks great! Bake some more ok. I'll be waiting for your new posts. I hope I can cook as well as you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You mentioned double boil in your ice cream recipe. How do I do it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I do in this way. Place the mixture in a bowl and put that bowl over a pot of simmering water, the base of the bowl not touching the hot water. Hope it helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not like bananas much, but enjoy cooking especially food cake. Meetings not very good that this will taste like
    I will write again on my blog about this subject when completed
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, thanks for sharing with us your interesting blog. :)

    ReplyDelete