When I first flipped the book 孟老师的100道小蛋糕 borrowed from the library, this is one of the many recipes that I bookmark and must definitely try. Because I have never heard of making mashed potatoes into muffins!
This is my first time trying out savoury muffins. And it is the tastiest and easiest muffins to make. A good change from the usual sweet muffins, it's just like eating mashed potatoes with strong black peppery taste and the extra kick with the oozing cheddar cheese. I don't know what else to say to describe it. You've got to try it out!
* There's another "Curry French Fries Muffins" in the same book. I must try it out one of these days!! (when everyone has recovered from the flu spreading around the house :( )
Mashed Potato Cheese Muffins 薯泥起士马芬 (From 孟老师的100道小蛋糕)
Ingredients (I make 10 pieces - 5cm cups)
120g potatoes (without skin)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper powder
75g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1. Cut potatoes into small pieces and steam until soft, about 15 minutes. Use a fork to mash the potatoes when still hot. Add salt and black pepper, mix well, and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix sugar, egg and oil until well blended.
3. Add in milk, followed by the mashed potatoes in step 1. Mix well.
4. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add into the mashed potatoes mixture in step 3. Stir lightly with a spatula until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Tear the cheddar cheese into small pieces and add into the mixture in step 4. Mix lightly.
6. Scoop mixture into paper cups until 8/10 full.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for about 20-25 minutes (I took 15 minutes). Serve warm.