Monday, September 08, 2008

Mashed Potato Cheese Muffins

When I first flipped the book 孟老师的100道小蛋糕 borrowed from the library, this is one of the many recipes that I bookmark and must definitely try. Because I have never heard of making mashed potatoes into muffins!


This is my first time trying out savoury muffins. And it is the tastiest and easiest muffins to make. A good change from the usual sweet muffins, it's just like eating mashed potatoes with strong black peppery taste and the extra kick with the oozing cheddar cheese. I don't know what else to say to describe it. You've got to try it out!

* There's another "Curry French Fries Muffins" in the same book. I must try it out one of these days!! (when everyone has recovered from the flu spreading around the house :( )


Mashed Potato Cheese Muffins 薯泥起士马芬 (From 孟老师的100道小蛋糕)

Ingredients (I make 10 pieces - 5cm cups)
120g potatoes (without skin)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper powder
20g sugar
1 egg
50g oil
40g milk
75g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 slice of cheddar cheese

Method
1. Cut potatoes into small pieces and steam until soft, about 15 minutes. Use a fork to mash the potatoes when still hot. Add salt and black pepper, mix well, and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix sugar, egg and oil until well blended.
3. Add in milk, followed by the mashed potatoes in step 1. Mix well.
4. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add into the mashed potatoes mixture in step 3. Stir lightly with a spatula until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Tear the cheddar cheese into small pieces and add into the mixture in step 4. Mix lightly.
6. Scoop mixture into paper cups until 8/10 full.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for about 20-25 minutes (I took 15 minutes). Serve warm.

21 comments:

  1. Hi SSB ,
    Wat a wonderful muffins recipe!Definitely will add to my To-Do List. I can imagine how nice the taste would be...something savoury..mmmmm just my to my taste.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Interesting combo. Potatoes and cheese are my younger girl's fav food. Tempted to make for breakfast tomorrow, but might not be able to find the time as I will be moving house this weekend. Agghhh...

    How is the texture like? Soft and fluffy?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elinluv, I knew u will definitely try this. :)

    Hi skinnymum, it's quite fast and easy to do. You can finish everything under 1 hour. It's soft and moist because u can taste mashed potatoes in every bite. Just remember not to overmix. Just mix lightly until no more flour can be seen, batter should remain lumpy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy looking little beauties of pure taste. First time here u have an yummy blog with awesome recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mashed Potato muffins..my husband will love me if I make these for him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. potato muffins? I would never think to do that, but it sounds good! You've opened a culinary horizon for me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. i never knew that mashed potatoes can be used for muffins too! so interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi kitchen flavours, meg and lauren, thanks for visiting my blog. Let me know if you have tried this out and hope you like these muffins! :)

    Hi Ah Teo, surprised everyone, haha! Nobody would have thought of that. Taiwanese baking books are very creative one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi SSB,

    Wow..this is so nicely done.... :) It's look so yummy and i bet it taste great!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the FFF award. Well deserved. Your blog is amazing. I love the mashed potato muffins. The cake made out of cupcakes with the little train on top is so cool. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I treid to sign up for your newletter, but go a message that you reader was off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ellena! :)

    Hi Teresa, welcome to my blog! I have no idea that I'm featured on the FFF award! Thanks for informing me and the encouraging comments! :)

    Hi anonymous, sorry! Are you subscribing using the FeedBurner? I did not sign up for that service so it won't work. You can try subscribing to my posts at the sidebar just above the flickr photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound absolutely delish! I'm not big on savoury muffins, but mashed potato muffins sound much too tempting :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is something I'm gonna try! Sounds interesting and I love mash patotoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi ovenhaven and aimei, this mashed potato muffins really excites everyone. Please try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi SSB!

    This muffin is a definitely a keeper!

    I made a batch this evening and it was really good & yummy! I may make another batch tomorrow for my son's snack in school. May be can add some spring onion & bacons?

    Thanks for the receipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi MH, so glad that you like it too. I'm sure it will taste better with your favourite ingredients added. I thought of adding my favourite mushrooms in too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. must be tasty .. but only one piece of cheese ah kekeke.

    btw, how did you make sure the cheese is seen at the top with so little cheese in this recipe. I thought they will be buried in the batter.

    hope to try this soon since I have all the ingredients on hand. (in the housekeeping mood recently leh)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sherlyn, ya only 1 piece. I cut into very small pieces when it is still hard from the fridge. The portion is also quite small, if you use big muffin cakes, can only yield 5 muffins.

    Actually the original photo from the book, the cheese cannot be seen one. I did not purposely top with more cheese, I also dunno why the cheese just ooze out from the inside during baking. Hehe... :)

    Quick try it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Copied out the recipe liao .. must find time and mood liao .. so slack in baking that the kids got to depend on sara lee again hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love sara lee when I was young too hehe...

    ReplyDelete