Friday, May 02, 2008

Easy Milo and Chocolate Muffins

1 May 2008

A last minute decision to make something for my friends when meeting them later. I need something that is really fast and easy. I search for ideas by flipping through this book called "Chocolate Cookbook" that I have borrowed from the library, cos I guess nobody can resist anything made with chocolates. I settle for the "Chocolate Butterflies" recipe. I didn't decorate it as a butterfly, but simply just top with some chocolate chips.


It is a very simple recipe that uses cocoa powder, drinking chocolate powder (I use milo powder) and extra chocolate chips. Just sift all the dry ingredients, rub in the butter, add in sugar, then mix in the wet ingredients. I'm sure even first-time bakers are able to do this.


Pack them in little bags and they look really cute. I do hope that they taste good too. :)


Milo and Chocolate Muffins (I made 9 cups)
(Recipe from Chocolate Cookbook, Hamlyn Cookery Club, English q641.6374 CHO -[COO])

Ingredients
125g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
25g drinking chocolate powder (I use milo powder)
1 tsp cocoa powder
50g butter
50g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp milk
3 drops vanilla essence

Topping:
Chocolate chips

Method
1. Sift the flour, salt, drinking chocolate powder and cocoa powder into a bowl.
2. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
4. Add the egg, milk and vanilla essence, then mix well. (do not overmix)
5. Spoon in cupcake cases and top with some chocolate chips.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 15-20 minutes.

13 comments:

  1. Hi SSB :)
    Wow..ur muffins are well baked...nice rise aso. Haha...milo & chocolate chips... I have never thought of milo as ingredient for muffin/cupcake.Good idea...you are a very innovative and creative person ^_____^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the huge domed tops of your muffins. You're very generous with your chocolate chips; do I smell a fellow chocoholic here? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, yes these muffins are well done and nicely baked!
    Nicepictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am back to chk out your peach cheesecake cos i m planning to make it into a mothers' day cake.
    So now i see these beautiful muffins .. would I be lucky enough to meet u one day and enjoy yr bakes? (hint : I stay in the west and visit jurong regional library too) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elinluv, no no..., I'm not creative at all. I just follow the recipe from the book and since I do not have chocolate drinking powder, I substitute with milo. :)

    Thanks ovenhaven, I like the domed top too. My first time using these cupcake cases, wondering if it's the cases that helps to build the shape of the top. My previous muffins not as nice leh...

    Thanks Zhengning! :P

    Hi Sherlyn, I haven't decided what to make for mother's day. :(

    Oh hehe... u can email me smallsmallbaker@yahoo.com.sg. I don't know what to bake for u if we really meet up. I'm not that good really. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow.... I am so attracted with the title milo and chocolate muffins as I love to use milo and chocolate chips to do cheesecake. ^o^ I am surely going to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi our happy moments! Hope you like these muffins. Hey, I like your food blog, everything looks so yummy. I'm bookmarking your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 你做的MUFFIN很吸引哦。
    呵呵,我从来没做过糕点,想请教你。
    初学者,应该买什么牌子的OVEN比较好。

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachel, 谢谢!我觉得我还算是个新手。我两年前开始学习烘焙,一直以来都是用这个二手普通牌的烘炉,而且只有16L。我真的不知道买什么牌子的比较好。或者你可以根据你的预算和烘炉的大小来决定。如果你是初学者,可以买不太贵的。对不起,帮不上什么忙。:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi SSB, your muffins really nice and baked well. May I know what oven are you using to bake your cakes/cuppies?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, thanks for the nice words! I'm just using a 16L secondhand oven, brand Nakada (which I also never heard of). ;) Sorry, can't give u good advice on oven brands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi SSB, if I'm using plain flour instead of self raising flour, may i know how much baking powder should i add in.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, you can add 1 tsp baking powder. :)

      Delete