Monday, June 17, 2013

Curry Potato Pies

Wanted something savoury, so I decided to make some Curry Potato Pies. They taste great when fresh out of oven. Reminds me of curry puffs.


Due to the extremely hot weather, it was so hard to handle the dough. Especially when I was trying make criss-cross pattern on top. The dough softened like less than a minute after out of the fridge. I couldn't be opening and closing the fridge many times. So I just 'anyhow' did it, resulting in the ugly top.

As I did the pies in 2 separate days, 1 day to make the base and another day to do the topping. I roughly estimated 2/3 of the dough to go to the base and 1/3 to the top. The top dough wasn't quite enough too. Just a note for myself to refer to in future. The ratio of top to base dough can be increased to 2:3 for my size of mould.


For the fillings, I use the same method as the Curry Potato Buns.

Curry Potato Pies

Fillings: (my anyhow cook method)

1 Potato, diced
1 stalk curry leaf (my homegrown)
1 tsp curry powder (more if you like)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1 hardboiled egg, diced

1. Steam or deep fry potatoes until cooked (deep fry nicer, steam healthier).
2. In a frying pan, put 1 tsp oil, fry curry leaf until fragrant.
3. Add in potatoes, curry powder, stir-fry a while.
4. Add in some water and seasoning, cook until dry. Set aside to cool. Mix with eggs.

For the dough, I use Eileen's recipe.

Dough ingredients (9 pcs):

227g cold unsalted butter
340g plain flour
2g salt
60g ice cold water (add enough to form a dough)

1. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add in salt.
2. Cut butter into small cubes, rub in butter into flour until fine crumbs are formed.
3. Add in ice water gradually, just enough to form a dough (you don't have to add in all the 60g stated in the recipe). Press to form a dough, do not knead.
4. Cover with cling wrap and chill for 4 hours or overnight.

Method:

1. Divide the dough into equal portions (I use about 25-30g dough for the base).
2. Press the dough into the tart mould, poke some holes at the base with a fork.
3. Add in hardboiled egg and curry potato fillings.
4. Cover the top of the pie with dough, poke some holes again. Brush the top with beaten egg.
5. Bake at 180-190 deg C for 30 minutes or till golden brown.

I am submitting this Curry Potato Pies to the Little Thumbs Up event hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders, organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of my little favourite D.I.Y.