I'm becoming very slow in updating my bakes. This was baked almost 1 month ago and I lost what I was ready to write about.
Anyway, to keep this short, this is another recipe from 孟老师的100道面包. It uses some mashed potato in the dough. It makes the dough very sticky and difficult to handle. Everytime when you try to push with your palms, the dough sticks to your whole palm. To avoid the mess, I simply throw the dough on the table, fold, and throw, and fold and continue until the dough become elastic and easier to manage. See the video from Carol below.
Instead of making 5 hotdog buns, I made 3 and the other 2 into Vegetarian Otah Buns for my mum. It was a great idea! Someday I must buy some otah and make otah buns for myself.
Dough: Very sticky
Same day softness: 8/10
Next day softness: 7.5/10
Potato Hotdog Buns 马铃薯热狗面包
Ingredients (makes 5)
110g bread flour
40g cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
70g cold water
1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 egg yolk (18-20g)
30g mashed potato (remove skin, steam and mash)
15g unsalted butter
1. Mix all ingredients in (A) and knead until the dough is smooth.
2. Add in butter and continue to knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic and able to stretch into a thin film without breaking.
3. Place the dough in a lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let proof for about 60 minutes.
4. Lightly knead the dough to punch out the gas. Divide the dough into 5 equal portions. Roll round, cover with cling wrap and rest for 10 minutes.
5. Slightly flatten the dough, roll flat into rectangle shape with width approximately the same as the length of a hotdog. Put the hotdog in the centre, fold the dough from 2 sides to wrap and pinch to seal well.
6. Use a scissors, make 5 equal cuts along the length of the dough. Make sure you cut through the hotdog but do not cut through the dough. Shape the bread, cover with cling wrap and proof for another 25 minutes.
7. Brush the top with egg mixture and drizzle some tomato sauce on top.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 175 deg C for about 19 minutes (upper rack).
Recipe adapted from: 孟老师的100道面包
I am submitting this Potato Hotdog Buns to Aspiring Bakers #8: Bread Seduction (June 2011), hosted by Jasmine of The Sweetylicious.