Sunday, February 24, 2008

Yogurt Chocolate Cake

24 February 2008

It has been 3 weeks since I last baked. I think it is better to stay away from these sweet stuffs as we have already been eating so much CNY goodies.


I bake a Yogurt Chocolate Cake from 爱上低糖甜品. The original recipe uses a loaf pan. But since I do not have one, I baked it in a 6 inch cake tin. However, I seemed to have overlooked the fact the I had halved the recipe and should not bake it for 30 minutes. The cake was slightly overbaked and it turned out to be quite dense instead of soft and fluffy like other yogurt cakes. I wonder if I got it correct.


Instead of using chopped chocolate, I added chocolate rice in and that resulted in a very ugly looking cake. I guess chocolate rice is not suitable for baking. :P

Ok, this gives me the first experience of baking a yogurt cake. I'm going to try more yogurt cakes in future. :)

Yogurt Chocolate Cake
(Original recipe from 爱上低糖甜品)

Ingredients (bake in a loaf pan)
80g butter
100g margarine (I use butter instead of margarine)
70g sugar
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
100g yogurt
1 tsp baking powder
280g superfine flour (I use cake flour)
150g bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Method
1. Beat butter, margarine, salt and sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add 1 egg at a time. Mix well in between additions.
3. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder.
4. Pour in yogurt and mix well. Add finely chopped chocolate.
5. Spoon the batter into cake tin. Bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes.

13 comments:

  1. Baking with yogurt is something I love doing - what a delicious cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I stumbled upon your blog. I just started out blogging. May I link your blog to mine?

    Thanks
    Rei

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks patricia! I hope I can keep improving on my yogurt cake.

    Hi rei, sure! I have already linked your blog to mine. Hope to see more posts coming from u. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    You've been tagged. Pls check it out here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ssb, you've been tagged again. Check it out http://yuribake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    Your cake is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi bunbun, thanks for your nice comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. Been very busy and now not able to add pictures to my post, so cant post anything.

    I used yogurt twice in baking and both the items are rather dense. Perhaps i hv overbaked?

    Anyway I did not know that chocolate rice is not for baking? I still top and bake my muffins with chocolate rice.

    Nice cake you have there even with the chocolate rice lah. Don't worry. But this cake is only low sugar right? It uses too much butter leh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sherlyn, my yogurt cake is also quite dense. I'm not very sure where has gone wrong too.

    I also don't know, but the effect of adding choc rice to this recipe doesn't look too good. Maybe it's more suitable for muffins and cookies and topping/coating only.

    The original recipe uses margarine. But I usually bake with butter as I don't like margarine. Erm... ya, the book's title is low sugar, never state it's low fat. So, haha... ;P

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love yogurt!! but ive never eaten yogurt cake before.. how does it affect the taste and texture of the cake?~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never eaten yogurt cake before too. Mine was rather dense. I'm not too sure if it's the right texture. It was my first attempt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I own this book also :) Just bought it recently actually but have not tried out any recipe yet.

    I like to use yogurt for baking, it gives me a healtier feel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Angela, I borrowed this book last time, so I did not try other recipes. Will check out your blog to see your bakes. :)

    ReplyDelete