Chiffon cake again! I'm getting better and better at chiffon cakes. :)
Have been wanting to try the purple sweet potato chiffon for a long time. :)
More chiffons baked to be given away... purple sweet potato (left) orange (right)
Some of you may find it hard to find purple sweet potatoes. For those living in the west side of Singapore, I bought it from the wet market at Blk 505 Jurong West. Ask the vegetable stall owner for purple ones cos I also cannot tell which one is purple inside. This is one of the variety (below).
Purple Sweet Potato Chiffon Cake 紫薯戚风蛋糕
Ingredients (makes one 22cm chiffon tin, half the recipe for 16cm chiffon tin)
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
60g vegetable oil
70g coconut milk (I use fresh milk)
70g purple sweet potato, steamed and mashed
100g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (I omitted)
120g purple sweet potato, steamed and diced
1. Whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until the sugar dissolves.
2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by coconut milk. Add in mashed purple sweet potato, mix well.
3. Fold in sifted cake flour and baking powder until well-mixed. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches. Lastly, add in diced purple sweet potato.
6. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 40 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
8. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.
Recipe adapted from: Fruity Cakes 鲜果蛋糕香 by Alex Goh