Thursday, July 17, 2014

Orange Chiffon Cake 香橙戚风蛋糕

My initial intention to come up with a series of chiffon cakes recipes failed. Haha! It is just so hard to keep up with blogging.

Anyway, I do bake chiffon cakes very often because my mum loves chiffon cake cos it is lighter and healthier and I love baking it because it is easy to make within an hour with minimal washing, minus the challenge of baking it, hehehe!

After trying different flavours of chiffon cakes, my mum told me that she still prefer orange chiffon cake, the rest so so only. What! You win liao lor! ;P

So I bake this orange chiffon cake for her, despite my desire to try another new flavour. Hahaha!


I am back to using my all-time favourite recipe book "好吃戚风蛋糕轻松上手". Because its 17cm recipe fits so nicely for my tin. Other recipes, if I make adjustment, will either come out too short or too tall. The proportion of flour also not too low and makes the cake more stable and easy to succeed. The extra egg white also makes the cake fluffier. No baking powder and cream of tartar are used, I haven't been adding these to my chiffon cakes for a long long time.


Orange Chiffon Cake

Ingredients: (17cm chiffon tin)

3 egg yolks
20g caster sugar
35ml vegetable oil
1 tsp Cointreau
60ml freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 tsp orange zest (I used zest of 1 whole orange)
80g cake flour

4 egg whites
50g caster sugar (I used 40g)

Method:

1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by Cointreau, orange juice and zest.
3. Add sifted cake flour. Mix until just combined. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches.
6. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 35 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
8. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.

Adapted from: 好吃戚风蛋糕轻松上手

Photobucket

I'm linking this post to Bake Along #64: Chiffon Cakes jointly hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours, Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Lena of Frozen Wings